: draft 1 Re: Call from United Nations Global Digital Compact initiative for inputs – Submission from UN IGF Dynamic Coalition on Data Driven Health Technologies

1 view

Amali De Silva - Mitchell

Dec 18, 2022, 6:46:13 PM12/18/22
to IGF Dynamic Coalition on Data Driven Health Technologies

DRAFT #1 for DC member input - please add inline. The items will be reorderd at the end... back to me by the end of the week please ....

To Whom It May Concern:

Re: Call from United Nations Global Digital Compact initiative for inputs – Submission from UN IGF Dynamic Coalition on Data Driven Health Technologies (DDHT)

We thank you for this opportunity to make a contribution to the knowledge base of the United Nations Secretary General’s initiative the Digital Compact 2022 that will support the conversations at the 2024 United Nations Summit of the Future.

DDHT strives to bring together a multi-stakeholder group for year around conversations in an open and collaborative space for knowledge exchange, knowledge development and risk analysis. At the core of the mandate is the UN SDG number 3, Health and Well-being for All. We were established in 2019, prior to the Covid-19 pandemic. Our approach is that of the knowledgeable global citizen seeking support for effective risk management in the ehealth internet space.  Better quality ehealth products and services will be developed if there is knowledge sharing between the variety of stakeholders from technologists, human rights activists, lawyers, financiers, policy makers, grass roots users and so forth, coming together to understand the risks, issues, benefits and so forth that create a robust and resilient quality product based on and for the internet. Speed of development is based on strong developing strong common understanding of ethical principles, that builds trust. At IGF which is part of UN DESA, we discuss matters from a socio-economic perspective for the internet and then participate with UN ITU WSIS to open our work to the wider technology community.

1.      Listed below are some of the topics that the dynamic coalition have found to be important to be considered inherently for development of resilient internet based ehealth systems.

2.      Interoperability for systems, personal devices, power / electricity systems

3.      Meaningful standard setting for systems and operations

4.      Skills and integrated language translation bots

5.      Development of natural language systems, speech recognitions, sight optimization

6.      Need for ewaste management and general greening of technology

7.      Education in ethics for developers and operators as well as user support

8.      The opportunities bus – sharing with rural communities the opportunities for ehealth

9.      Development of ethics for emerging technologies such as Quantum Technologies, Artificial Intellgence and Machine Learning, blockchain, virtual reality space, robotics, bio-engineering ….

10.   Data sharing in an ethical manner including that for research and patient movement between jurisdictions.

Data sharing between systems, meta data etc.

11.   Risks for personalized healthcare and data profiling / biases – securitized overrides and human intervention required

12.   Options for anonymous data sharing and opt in / out for the patient / user without the loss of rights

13.   Embedding the UN Human Rights treaty in to systems development with a human centered approach to human computer interactions and access

14.   Provinding meaningfull access to all peoples, income, diasabled, remote located, elderly[A1] , low-skilled and so forth to have access to the internet for their medical services and support in an equitable manner to their region of residence.

15.   Open to continuous improvement and betterment

16.   Privacy and mandated updates to erroneous data, mis information etc.

17.   Freedom of expression for holistic medical treatment and data management

18.   Putting medical information online

19.   Security and emergency

20.   Partnership and seeking opportunities to bundle services with other UN SDG based work for a holistic delivery of internet service to a community

21.   Opportunity for mobile networks and partnering with the private sector such as banks to onboard patients to ehealth services

22.   Integration with agricultural business, climate governance, water systems …

DC add here … please – I will roll-up prior to Dec 31, 2022

On behalf of the membership of the dynamic coalition, I thank you again for this opportunity to contribute to the UN Global Digital Compact initiative. We would be please to participate in working groups with‘the UN Secretary General’s 's and other United Nation's offices for development of content for the UN Summit of the Future and other projects.

Kind regards,

Ms. Amali De Silva – Mitchell

Coordinator UN IGF DC DDHT

 [A1]