Server not accessible

m0n...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2008, 2:46:48 PM1/25/08
to iGet Mobile Support
Hi,
I like the concept of iGet Mobile. I'm trying un unregistered copy of
iGet Mobile 1.0.2 but I do not succeed in getting a connection. In the
Network Accessibility box I do read the message 'The server is
accessible from the internet etc', but every now and then (20
seconds?), the message changes to 'attempting etc' or even worse:
'This server may not be accessible from the Internet etc'. ...And then
it changes back to green again...
At the top I get two links:
In spite of all this, I do NOT get a connection from either my iPod
Touch (version 1.1.3) or from the same, local iMac when I follow the
the 2 links. (When I surf to https://127.0.0.1:55555/, it does work.)

Here's my configuration:
iGet Mobile:
Whether I check or uncheck any of the 4 tickboxes does not seem to
make a difference. Although, I suppose I should UNcheck the Attempt
box because I've already forwarded the port manually in the router. Is
that right? Anyway, this box gives me the message:
Automatic port forwarding could not be enabled.
or
Automatic port forwarding enabled for port 55555. (UPnP).
apparently (to me) in a random order and this does not seem to have an
effect on the green tick box saying that the server is accessible from
the internet.

Router:
My router is the Siemens Gigaset SX762 WLAN dsl.
I switched the Firewall OFF.
In the menu:
Advanced settings/Internet/Address Translation (NAT)/Port Forwarding
I entered the following 2 lines:
Protocol: TCP
Public port: 55555
Local port: 55555
Local IP: 192.168.2.250
Enabled: yes
AND
Protocol: UDP
Public port: 55555
Local port: 55555
Local IP: 192.168.2.250
Enabled: yes
ALTERNATIVELY, I go to the menu:
Advanced settings/Internet/Address Transaltion (NAT)/Exposed Host
and enter the line:
Local IP: 192.168.2.250
Enabled: yes
Finally I restarted the router.

iMac:
2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
MacOSX 10.5.1
Firewall is switched OFF
In Sharing systemprefs I activated:
Filesharing
Webserver
Remote login
Remote control
Remote Apple events
(I use a non-English system, the above may be incorrect translations).

My questions:
1. Why don't I get a connection? Can you help?
2. Can I leave the Mac's firewall on?
3. Can I leave the router's firewall on?
4. What are the correct settings in the Sharing systempref? Which
items should be activated?
5. Does 'Enable web server when iGet Mobile is launched' conflict with
the settings in Sharing systemprefs? What's the right way to deal with
this? What happens if I leave both unchecked?
6. What's the difference between TCP and UDP in port forwarding? Do I
need to enter both lines?

Nakahara Informatics, Inc.

Jan 28, 2008, 3:42:31 PM1/28/08
to iGet Mobile Support, iget-mobi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks for the message. I'm not familiar with your exact router, but
let me answer your questions point by point.

> 1. Why don't I get a connection? Can you help?

Well, we hope so! :-) We'll see.

> 2. Can I leave the Mac's firewall on?

Yes, but you need to add iGet Mobile to the list of applications and
chnage the setting for it to "Allow incoming connections"

> 3. Can I leave the router's firewall on?

Yes, but you need to create an exception in the firewall ruls to allow
traffic on port 55555, or whichever port you are using for iGet
Mobile.

> 4. What are the correct settings in the Sharing systempref? Which
> items should be activated?

No items need to be activated in the Sharing pane of System
Preferences. iGet Mobile uses its own server process, and does not
rely on the things in the Sharing pane. However, any/all of them may
be enabled without affecting iGet Mobile.

> 5. Does 'Enable web server when iGet Mobile is launched' conflict with
> the settings in Sharing systemprefs? What's the right way to deal with
> this? What happens if I leave both unchecked?

No conflicts should occur. iGet Mobile will serve up its web interface
on the port you specify (default 55555), whereas the built-in Web
Sharing uses the default port of 80.

What the "Enable web server when iGet Mobile is launched" checkbox
controls is whether the internal iGet Mobile server starts whenever
you launch the application, or whether it stays off until you press
the "Start" button. The usefulness of this feature is mainly so that
if you have iGet Mobile as a login item which starts every time the
Mac reboots, the iGet Mobile server will start at that time as well.
So it can be started when you aren't there to press the start button.

> 6. What's the difference between TCP and UDP in port forwarding? Do I
> need to enter both lines?

No, iGet Mobile uses only TCP. It does not use UDP (which is mainly
used for realtime things like videochatting and music streaming).
Therefore, you need only forward TCP connections.

Actually, as far as I can tell, your setup sounds like it is
configured correctly. I recommend you double check your router
settings.

Also, if you have another computer on the LAN, you could try browsing
to https://192.168.2.250:55555

Best regards,
--
Naomi for support@ nakahara-informatics.com
Nakahara Informatics, Inc.

Nakahara Informatics, Inc.

Jan 28, 2008, 3:42:31 PM1/28/08
to iGet Mobile Support, iget-mobi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks for the message. I'm not familiar with your exact router, but
let me answer your questions point by point.

> 1. Why don't I get a connection? Can you help?

Well, we hope so! :-) We'll see.

> 2. Can I leave the Mac's firewall on?

Yes, but you need to add iGet Mobile to the list of applications and
chnage the setting for it to "Allow incoming connections"

> 3. Can I leave the router's firewall on?

Yes, but you need to create an exception in the firewall ruls to allow
traffic on port 55555, or whichever port you are using for iGet
Mobile.

> 4. What are the correct settings in the Sharing systempref? Which
> items should be activated?

No items need to be activated in the Sharing pane of System
Preferences. iGet Mobile uses its own server process, and does not
rely on the things in the Sharing pane. However, any/all of them may
be enabled without affecting iGet Mobile.

> 5. Does 'Enable web server when iGet Mobile is launched' conflict with
> the settings in Sharing systemprefs? What's the right way to deal with
> this? What happens if I leave both unchecked?

No conflicts should occur. iGet Mobile will serve up its web interface
on the port you specify (default 55555), whereas the built-in Web
Sharing uses the default port of 80.

What the "Enable web server when iGet Mobile is launched" checkbox
controls is whether the internal iGet Mobile server starts whenever
you launch the application, or whether it stays off until you press
the "Start" button. The usefulness of this feature is mainly so that
if you have iGet Mobile as a login item which starts every time the
Mac reboots, the iGet Mobile server will start at that time as well.
So it can be started when you aren't there to press the start button.

> 6. What's the difference between TCP and UDP in port forwarding? Do I
> need to enter both lines?

m0n...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2008, 3:54:27 AM2/11/08
to iGet Mobile Support
On 28 jan, 21:42, "Nakahara Informatics, Inc."
<customer.supp...@nakahara-informatics.com> wrote:
> Also, if you have another computer on the LAN, you could try browsing
> to https://192.168.2.250:55555

Hello Naomi,
Thanks for your reply. I don't have another computer on my LAN.
However, I've tried to access https://192.168.2.250:55555 from my iPod
touch and that works.
Unfortunately, I still don't get access from the internet.
I'm affraid that iGet Mobile does not work for me. I have another
router, maybe I'll replace my current router with the second one and
try again.
Regards, Rik