Problem with large Apple Lossless & MP3 Music Files

chris...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2008, 2:23:29 AM12/11/08
to iGet Mobile Support
Hi,

I Just bought iGet Mobile and my first real-life test that I threw at
it didn't work out so well. Here's what happened: after setting up
everything at home, which went fine, I decided to try things out at
the office by accessing an Apple Lossless (.m4a) music file and also
an .mp3 file. As I am a professional digital DJ, these are some of
the files I expect to need to access frequently.

When trying the 'download unmodified' option on my iPhone, Safari on
my iPhone thought that these were video files and I got the message
'This movie could not be played". Due to the file size limitation
of10Mb, I was unable to email myself the file either.

Then I tried to access the same file on Safari on my Macbook Air and
was surprised to see that I after the Quicktime plugin launched I got
the question mark for both the m4a and the mp3 file. That got me
thinking that perhaps something was wrong with my own browser's
Quicktime setup, but no such thing, the following mp3 test page works
fine, i.e. the file plays directly in my web page thru Quicktime:
http://wymette.home.att.net/files/locke_32.mp3

Any explanation / suggested fix for this?

TIA,
Christof

Nakahara Informatics Inc.

Dec 13, 2008, 2:56:41 AM12/13/08
to iget-mobi...@googlegroups.com
As a followup to our (private) reply, I just received a phone call
from one of the engineers.

The issue of maximum email attachment size is one we attend to address
in the next update. (It will become an editable preference setting.)

The issue of viewing multimedia content on the iPhone (MP3s, movies,
etc) over a secure HTTPS connection is apparently a bit more
complicated.

I will post an update when I get a more complete technical explanation.

Best regards,
--
Naomi for sup...@nakahara-informatics.com
Nakahara Informatics, Inc.

chris...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2008, 11:53:12 AM12/21/08
to iGet Mobile Support
Thanks for your feedback. I will look forward to further news. One
thing though: it would seem that the problem is not isolated to the
iPhone since trying to access the m4a and mp3 files was also not
possible using another mac. If that part would work, that would
already help me out in 95% of cases...

On Dec 13, 3:56 pm, "Nakahara Informatics Inc."
<customer.supp...@nakahara-informatics.com> wrote:
> As a followup to our (private) reply, I just received a phone call
> from one of the engineers.
>
> The issue of maximum email attachment size is one we attend to address
> in the next update. (It will become an editable preference setting.)
>
> The issue of viewing multimedia content on the iPhone (MP3s, movies,
> etc) over a secure HTTPS connection is apparently a bit more
> complicated.
>
> I will post an update when I get a more complete technical explanation.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Naomi for supp...@nakahara-informatics.com
> Nakahara Informatics, Inc.http://www.nakahara-informatics.com

Nakahara Informatics Inc.

Dec 23, 2008, 12:41:08 AM12/23/08
to iget-mobi...@googlegroups.com, chris...@gmail.com
Hi Christof,

OK, we *should* be able to serve the audio files to most Mac browsers,
including Safari. We have automated tests for that, and I just tried
it quickly on my Mac Pro, and it worked (with MP3 files from my iTunes
library folder).

Issue 1: Mac cannot play MP3/M4A files in browser when served by iGet
Mobile:

One area of ambiguity here (I mean where real user machines can differ
from our development and test Macs) is that iGet Mobile, when serving
files, gets some information about the file type from the OS itself.
So, depending on your Mac's configuration (installed software, etc),
it might be reporting different values to iGet Mobile about your audio
files than what our test machine. That may affect how it actually
serves the file, causing a problem.

We'd definitely like to look into this and fix it. However, it is a
separate issue from the iPhone problem. If possible, please drop us a
line at sup...@nakahara-informatics.com with the exact error you get
on the Mac (screenshots or whatever are fine). You can post in this
forum too, but emailing us directly lets you send attachments if needed.

Issue 2: Unable to access multimedia files from iPhone (play MP3 etc
in browser)

This second issue, where you cannot access multimedia files on the
iPhone, is a known limitation.

Basically, the problem is that the iPhone component that handles
QuickTime playback does not handle secure connections as flexibly as
the Mac.

This is something we can hack around in an ugly and somewhat insecure
way, but we have so far hesitated to do that because we thought Apple
might be fixing this issue in one of the iPhone OS updates.

Since that hasn't happened, I have bumped this issue back up in our
bug system, to re-evaluate.

I've also heard, but haven't yet had time to confirm, that if you buy
a real SSL certificate for your Mac, it does work. Not yet sure if
that is true, however, and it is a pain to deal with in any case.

So, we'll be looking at this issue also, and seeing if we can't come
up with some sort of fix.

In both cases, if you are interested in getting the fix sooner rather
than later, is to enable pre-release version checking in iGet Mobile's
Updates preference pane. When beta and pre-releases are available, you
can always read the little blurb and decide to skip them if they don't
apply to your issues.

Best regards,
--
Mason Mark