May 2021 IGDA Meeting - Marketing Panel

vazor

Apr 29, 2021, 11:11:11 PM4/29/21
to Utah IGDA Members
The next regular meeting for your local chapter of the IGDA is coming up in two weeks, on Thursday, May 13th, at 7:30pm. We'll hear from panelists like Natalie Shahmiri and Ross Przybylski about "marketing and biz dev to grow your Utah game studio or career". We'll have some moderator questions and then open it up to Q&A. Join us in the usual channel in the utahgamedev discord!

Looking forward to it!
  -vazor

P.S. We still have room for a few more panelists if you'd like to suggest anyone from your studio! Email me directly or message me on discord and I'll send over the invite!

vazor

May 12, 2021, 2:21:35 AM5/12/21
to Utah IGDA Members
Reminder that this is happening this Thursday!
Jon Dean and Jeff Peters have joined the panel!

We are grateful for these awesome speakers who are taking some time out of their busy schedules to help out the community.
See you there!!

vazor

May 14, 2021, 1:14:46 AM5/14/21
to Utah IGDA Members
Thank you to Julie Turner for joining us on the panel as well!

Thank you again to all the awesome and talented speakers who took the time to share their wisdom with us! I was humbled at the wealth of knowledge shared. I know I got a lot of great gems and ideas about what to do when approaching marketing!

Video is over at:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1022011931

My rough notes:
1. What is the first thing you would say to someone looking to start marketing their Utah game or career?
Build a brand.
Use the CRUDE test.
Market to your pals to get your lines right.
Do e.g. small facebook post boosts to test.
Check out hubspot, catapult, keymailer, and other marketing tools.
2. What is one of the hardest lessons you had to learn about marketing?
Some of development should be heart driven instead of all data driven.
No magic bullet, customize marketing for each project.
Lots of work. Hire an agency/publisher.
Market is always changing.
3. What are some of the things that take the most time when working on marketing?
Everything takes longer than you expect. Digital campaigns take time to ramp up.
It takes time to learn your audience once you have one. Trailers take a long time to make.
Marketing content development. Set a tempo you can keep! Hootsuite and other tools can help.
Researching market and opportunities. Picking and choosing which events and meetings you prioritize.
Responding to incoming emails and community posts. Refine your messaging and hook lines.
Nooo the squirrels!  You had me at deck-building.
4. What are some things you wish could be different about marketing in Utah?
Fundraising panel in the future? Ways to encourage industry working together?
Encourage new studios?
Add marketing channel?
RIP Utah Game Developers Conference, RIP GEEX, RIP PushButton Summit
How to market Utah events?
Where to hold this marketing workshop? FanX?
If you use influencers, you gotta get a stack of them?
Wish we could just pay someone to play our game! (Have you tried in StreamSLC discord?)

Plattinator's notes:

Announcements:

Cymatically Muffed (the game by Kelsam) released on Xbox recently! If you have an Xbox and can check it out, please leave them a review!
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/cymatically-muffed/9n78x5c7jsqv
Xbox Edition Info: https://muffed.kelsam.net/xbox

UDEN now has a Discord server where UDEN members are encouraged to meet and connect - here: https://discord.gg/UE286v2zAu - check it out if you'd like!

There is an upcoming event in the fall at WildWorks that targets Young Women in Gaming. The Success in Education Foundation's new group "Women Who Succeed" is interested in partnering on this event. They are looking for a couple role models- a female engineer and a female producer who are willing to be on a panel at the event and help answer questions and inspire young high school women during a game jam/idea pitch event. If you know anyone who might be a good fit, let me know!

Next IGDA chapter meeting:

See you at the next meeting in two months on July 8th!