Ifolder client and server on the same machine?

Tian Shen

Apr 10, 2011, 11:11:26 AM4/10/11
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
Is it possible to have ifolder client and server set up on the same
machine? I tried on Ubuntu 10.10, the server works fine, but the
client won't start, showing the following error:

Error: Cannot start the local web services.
Error: The Simias process failed to initialize.
Use the command line switch --showconsole to view the error.

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference
not set to an instance of an object
at Novell.iFolder.iFolderApplication.StartiFolder () [0x00000] in
<filename unknown>:0

I currently have the server running with 4 computers (2 ubuntu linux
and 2 windows) syncing with no problem. Some of the mobile devices
don't have ifolder support, but can sync with the server through SSH.
So I'm hoping I can also have the ifolder client running on the same
machine as the server, so that eventually, the mobile device can sync
with the ifolder server, like this:
mobile device <---SSH---> server<---ifolder--->same server<---
ifolder---> other ifolder clients

csights

Apr 10, 2011, 7:07:28 PM4/10/11
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
I am able to install both client and server on the same machine. I'm
using Debian, unfortunately, but maybe I'll have the same problem
eventually. :)

You might want to try installing the server (or the client) in a
virtual machine as a workaround.

João Almeida

Apr 10, 2011, 8:56:46 PM4/10/11
to ifolder-ubun...@googlegroups.com, csights
I had a setup like that once and I believe it worked ok, not sure thought.

Tian Shen

Apr 11, 2011, 5:44:27 PM4/11/11
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
a virtual machine cost too much system resource.
I also tried a virtual machine with Ubuntu 10.10 guest OS using
VirtualBox. I mounted a host directory to the guest using SSHFS,
however, ifolder refuse to reside on this "network drive". Any easy
way to let ifolder access the host directory?

ntrcessor

May 22, 2011, 11:46:04 PM5/22/11
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
The best way to handle that would be to set up a separate physical
partition for the sync drive, and add the "physical" drive to Vbox.
(http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12873)
I believe you can also have the drive mounted in the host OS
simultaneously. But there may be more hoops to jump through.

Another option is to sandbox the client.

I think the only way to get both server and client to function on the
same machine is to build them from source. However, I have only seen
this work
with no SSL support on the server, which then breaks Windows clients,
which require SSL on the server.

ikus060

Jul 15, 2011, 5:24:22 PM7/15/11
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
I so hate iFolder client for it's generic error message telling
nothing. You may have more change to get an answer if you ask you're
question on the ifolder team it self. That might point you to the real
issue.

May I ask if you install both ifolder server ans ifolder client using
the instruction : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/iFolderInstall

Tian Shen

Jul 19, 2011, 4:26:39 PM7/19/11
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
I finally got the client and server working on the same machine. after
reinstall 10.04 amd64 and recompiling both ifolder server and client.
not quite sure what was the problem originally.