simias10.conf doesn't get created

16 views
Skip to first unread message

ikus060

unread,
Nov 14, 2010, 11:56:06 AM11/14/10
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
Hi,

I'm installing simias server on Ubuntu 10.04 32bits.
The installation went fine, but it's appear the file simias10.conf
doesn't get created. Even if I run 'dpkg-reconfigure simias-server'
again, it wont create the configuration.

* I install simias server following this instruction :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/iFolderInstall#iFolder Server 3.8
* After some testing, I realized http://myservername.com/simias10
wan't working.
* Then, I figure out I miss the file /etc/apache2/conf.d/simias10.conf

I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure simias-server' expecting it to create the
file, but it didn't.

Here my Question :
1. Is dpkg-reconfigure simias-server supposed to create the file
simias10.conf ?
2. If Yes, how to I debug it. Is there any way to have more 'log'
information ?
3. If Not, who is in charge of creating this file ?

Patrik Dufresne

ikus060

unread,
Nov 14, 2010, 3:10:30 PM11/14/10
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
Ok, I figure out what is the issue.
While configuring simias server using 'dpkg-reconfigure simias-
server', I enter an invalid server name. The name of the server should
not contain space. I haven't been notify of this issue because 'simias-
server.postinst' doesn't display error to the console. The stdout and
stderr are redirected to null (1>/dev/null 2>&1).

I suggest to change this behavior : Output everything to console OR
output everything to a log file and tell the user about that log file.

From http://www.fifi.org/doc/debconf-doc/tutorial.html, it's appear we
need to add an extra dependency to debconf.
"First, your package must depend on debconf (or pre-depend on it if it
uses debconf in its preinst[1]). This is necessary since debconf isn't
essential."
So, the following need to be added to control file :

Build-Depends: debconf

On Nov 14, 11:56 am, ikus060 <ikus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing simias server on Ubuntu 10.04 32bits.
> The installation went fine, but it's appear the file simias10.conf
> doesn't get created. Even if I run 'dpkg-reconfigure simias-server'
> again, it wont create the configuration.
>
> * I install simias server following this instruction :https://help.ubuntu.com/community/iFolderInstall#iFolderServer 3.8
> * After some testing, I realizedhttp://myservername.com/simias10

csights

unread,
Nov 14, 2010, 9:44:11 PM11/14/10
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
Hi Patrik,
Debconf is what provides those pretty prompts for configuring
ifolder. So the package does pre-depend on it already.
The output of postinst is hidden b/c the debconf tutorial (which you
linked to) says that all input and output must be eliminated. The
instructions actually do make an exception for output to stderr.
"
The first thing to do is look at your postinst, plus any program your
postinst calls (like a "packageconfig" program), plus your preinst,
and even your prerm and postrm. Take note of all output they can
generate and all input they prompt the user for. All this output and
input must be eliminated for your package to use debconf. (Output to
stderr can be left as is.)
"
So maybe redirecting stdout but not stderr to null would work.
That depends on whether simias-server-setup et al. write good info to
stderr.
Probably better would be to log everything. That would give more
context.
Does anyone know a standard place to put an install log? /tmp? ~? /
var/log/something?

Thanks,
C.

João Almeida

unread,
Nov 14, 2010, 10:09:07 PM11/14/10
to ifolder-ubun...@googlegroups.com
-> http://www.mail-archive.com/ifold...@forge.novell.com/msg01212.html

I would suggest something along the lines of /var/log/ifolder-server/install.log

ikus060

unread,
Nov 15, 2010, 4:00:34 PM11/15/10
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev


setup-simias-server doesn't output to stderr.

Might it be possible to add extra validation into debconf ?
e.g.: Check the server name, check the hostname, etc.

On 14 nov, 22:09, João Almeida <jpoalme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -> http://www.mail-archive.com/ifolder-...@forge.novell.com/msg01212.html

csights

unread,
Nov 16, 2010, 9:20:24 PM11/16/10
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev

> I would suggest something along the lines of
> /var/log/ifolder-server/install.log

I think I'll put it in /var/log/simias-server-install-<date>.log

> Might it be possible to add extra validation into debconf ?
> e.g.: Check the server name, check the hostname, etc.

Yes, it is possible. But I'm not going to do it right now. If
someone else does it I'll look at it and merge it. Right now I'm too
busy to do it personally! :(

ikus060

unread,
Nov 17, 2010, 2:48:05 PM11/17/10
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev


On 16 nov, 21:20, csights <csig...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > I would suggest something along the lines of
> > /var/log/ifolder-server/install.log
>
> I think I'll put it in /var/log/simias-server-install-<date>.log

Sounds good for me.

> > Might it be possible to add extra validation into debconf ?
> > e.g.: Check the server name, check the hostname, etc.
>
> Yes, it is possible.  But I'm not going to do it right now.  If
> someone else does it I'll look at it and merge it.  Right now I'm too
> busy to do it personally! :(

I'm willing to have a look at it, but I will need a bit of help to
getting me started. Do you have some reference for me of how to
include validation ? Whats the usual way to proceed with validation.

csights

unread,
Nov 21, 2010, 4:21:13 PM11/21/10
to iFolder-Ubuntu-Debian-Android-dev
> I'm willing to have a look at it, but I will need a bit of help to
> getting me started. Do you have some reference for me of how to
> include validation ? Whats the usual way to proceed with validation.

One idea is to try to ping the host. If someone can write a shell
script that pings a host and returns "true" if pingable or "false" if
not pingable, I could put it into the setup script.

Probably this is not the "right" way to do it. It requires ping and
it causes setup delays.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages