Lane Driving - Anything we can do?

Vijay Anand

Mar 3, 2009, 9:48:29 PM3/3/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
How many times have you been at a signal with three lanes and the guy from the extreme left, make a turn to the right, cutting off everyone who is trying to go straight? I have been noticing this trend, and am wondering if with proper signages, this issue can be resolved? Anyone have any ideas?

Vijay

Sathya Narain

Mar 4, 2009, 12:00:22 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
Why dont we go back to the basics and do something to revive 'Stop at Stop Line' culture.
Chennai needs it badly.

We can then work on the more complex issues like what you have mentioned. What say?

--
Cheers,
Narain

www.sathyanarain.com

Vijay Anand

Mar 4, 2009, 12:06:31 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
So let me lay the ground rules. Whatever solution we want to come up with should not:

1. Become Moral Policing, standing in the road and hitting people on the head and telling them what to do.
2. Go put more pressure on the already frustrated government officials who have tried and given up.

There are a lot of creative ways we can come up with to make people notice a sign, have a smile on their face and listen. If there are a few who listen, the rest will eventually all fall in place.

The cross-land turning madness is causing me a lot of problems. I almost hit a guy (and his entire family on a two wheeler) a few days ago. I am planning to make some signs, and use some road partitions to let the left most lane only for vehicles going straight. if anyone wants to help, they are more than welcome to pitch in.

Vijay
The Blog: www.vijayanand.name
The Event: www.proto.in
Twitter: www.twitter.com/vijayanands

kannan infratech

Mar 4, 2009, 3:54:34 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
I have been observing esp in Adyar (LB Road - SP Road Jn) signal, RTC buses from Adyar bus stand which have to go towards Guindy go to the extreme left and do U turn cutting all the vehicles which have to go straight or right turn into LB Road.

Since Buses are bigger and their turning radius is wider (No power steering in most of the buses). Unless they go to the extreme left, they can not take  U Turn.

Traffic Planning is bad and if it is a very critical problem, the they have to introduce a separate signal for U Turn synchoronising with LB Road to SP Road Right signal.

Kannan

On 3/4/09, Vijay Anand <vi...@vijayanand.name> wrote:
How many times have you been at a signal with three lanes and the guy from the extreme left, make a turn to the right, cutting off everyone who is trying to go straight? I have been noticing this trend, and am wondering if with proper signages, this issue can be resolved? Anyone have any ideas?

Vijay

Ph: 044 28112921, 42104230,
Fax: 044 28112821
email: kan...@infratech.co.in, kannan...@gmail.com
website:www.infratech.co.in

Vijay Anand

Mar 4, 2009, 4:08:24 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
Kannan, thats a very good observation. We can bring that up with the City office.

In terms of cars and two wheelers, if anyone has any other suggestions, do feel free to pick the nearest junction to you and try doing something there.

I'm planning to do something in the junction near Tidel park.

Vijay

Amit Kumar

Mar 4, 2009, 8:03:11 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
There is a voluntary group called road safety patrol which we used to join as students (just walk into a traffic police station and they may have an idea) in RSP students used to volunteer and help assist traffic in congested areas... not sure if that is still going on... may be we can join it and also assist the traffic constables assigned to the junction obviously the constables wont be involved in their favorite pass time (you know what i mean).

Vijay Anand

Mar 4, 2009, 8:19:09 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
So, Gentlemen (and ladies),

I've spoken to some people and we've come up with some interesting ideas to get people's attention when they are driving, to get them to shift to their appropriate lanes. Will come back more when we unveil it and possibly with pictures and videos of it working.

:)

Go change your neighbourhood.. there is much to change.

Vijay

Prashanth Kannan

Mar 4, 2009, 8:31:26 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
Road Safety Patrol was active in my school.... Students used to regulate traffic during peak hours..it was quite effective, i must say.

2009/3/4 Vijay Anand <vi...@vijayanand.name>

--
Prashanth

Arun Ganesh

Mar 4, 2009, 9:33:32 AM3/4/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com

yup, a solution to this problem is very much needed. one big problem is the the road geomentry itself is very poor which makes it a little difficult to make uturns from the rightmost lane like kannan said. but there are also plenty of people who dont bother to switch to the correct lanes (my sister included). still trying to figure out whats the reason for this.

im sure a good graphic will help and make people think about lanes the next time tthey approach an intersection. i'll try to figure something out in my free time

-arun

--
http://www.tinyurl.com/ArunGanesh

mansoor kk

Mar 6, 2009, 2:26:20 PM3/6/09
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
Rather than taking a U-Turn in the signal , they easily take a U-turn where we you take a right to basant nagar.. can we suggest it to somebody?

sorry for joining this discussion so late:-(