Re: [I Fix Chennai] Re: Chennai Ward level info RTI.

Arun Ganesh

Dec 17, 2008, 10:33:38 AM12/17/08
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Krish, that map was done by me using info from the CMDA masterplan maps, the original is here. I had asked the cmda for the copyright status of the data, so that i could publish it in wikipedia, but all the emails bounced. I also mailed a copy to the chennai corporation to put it on their site, but even that suggestion seems to have been lost somewhere.

Another map that i have been working on for a long time was one that showed the taluks/revenue villages and the contituencies boundaries. After 2 years of collecting information from various sources, only recently i managed to piece it all together, you can access is it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chennai_District_profile_map.png

I must thank the chennai corporation though, for their friendly attitude towards me. it was 6 months ago, after they made the new website that, that i felt that things were about to change and that there was some hope for the city.i went to ripon building and hunted down the IT cell and commended their effort on the new website and also suggested a lot of additional info that they can add to make it more helpful. I have since been in touch with them quite often and they have also been very helpful in trying to get the information i want to make these maps possible.

The next detail i am planning to add is the location of the ward offices for the 155 corporation wards. This is where local civic works are handled and also where you can meet your councillor. From the little interaction ive had with them, i can say that they have been very friendly and approachable, but locating their office is a pain because the address is not available anywhere. one actually needs to ask people on the road and if you are lucky, you will end up at the office of your ward and not the adjacent one.

During my last visit to the corporation i had asked for the ward office addresses and after a long search and some confusion regarding divisions, units and zones, they finally managed to give me the complete list in tamil. But on opening the document at home, all i saw was gibberish, i probably have a missing font. I will try to prod them  for an english version next time i visit their office, or we might have to pry it using RTI. Ive attached the list just in case someone else can read it.

cheers

arun ganesh

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM, kannan infratech <kannan...@gmail.com> wrote:
The commendable work on wardwise maps has been done by our own member Planemad who has his blog Bitterscotch.

Arun! pitch in.

Kannan

On 12/15/08, krish <kri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

I was trying to find Ward level info on who is who in chennai to form
a citizen's network, these links are something i found.

http://bitterscotch.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/chennai-city-division-map1.png
- i don't what it took get this done but hats off to who ever did this
map(i guesslooks like he used Google maps and a map from website  some
adobe on top of it and made it look cool)

These both have some Divisional info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chennai_Corporation_wards
http://www.chennaicorporation.gov.in/zone/zoneAddress.htm

But i couldn't get details of who is ward chairman, ward council
members and their profiles/BIO's and who is zone responsible person
etc. I have registered a suggestion and complaint asking these details
to be posted on the corporation website to provide for the same.
Anyways i am planning to do RTI  to get that info and post it on
public domain for Greater Chennai(Chennai +  Tambaram,
Ambathur,Thiruvotriyur, Alandur Municipalities) using RTI

Certainly i don't want to re invent the wheel, Hence just sounding off
to see if someone has already got this info or if it is there in some
remote pdf file on the web.

cheers
-kk

--
R. Kannan
Managing Director

--
http://twitter.com/PlaneMad
Divisional Office Address (Revised).xls

Amit Kumar

Dec 17, 2008, 11:14:53 AM12/17/08
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
Use this

http://www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html

Sri/Mylai/Thunai doesnt work till now... but there are other tamil fonts also...

krish

Dec 18, 2008, 1:30:21 AM12/18/08
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

Everyone interested in WARD level info lets just meet-up sometime over coffee, just give me call/sms at 9840277259, any time in evenings and weekends. ??

Arun you are doing a great job man(2 years? my gosh). No problem if it in tamil, think we can figure out.. just find out what font they used... in the document, Do bring what they gave you and we can get that and read it and translate on our own and put it up.. on google MAP. ++ Additional info

Actually we would need Tamil versions also to get more people involved at the area level initiatives. I also know tamil computing activist groups in chennai, whoes help we can leverage.
More important info would be the list of ward chairman, name contacts, and background, this is crutial for forming area level chapters/clubs/sabha

I am planning to get complete data of govt infrastructure & current projects in each area and regularly monitor them with our volunteers from various areas and publish updates on a public website and bring in accountality. we could also try and involve a journalist and students of journalism and other citizen who want to be journalist.. check out this http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/
we could also have a chennai lawyers association and take up issues we can solve through the high court. we could form secruity councils and leverage the exisiting "Friends of police" to give monitor and give security alerts in each area.

lets meet up, i am sure a lot more cool ideas would pop-up and endless list of things to fix. and ways to do them.....let me know

cheers
-krish
--
krishna kumar kj
Hamara Media

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate
with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong.
Because someday in life you will have been all of these." - George Washington Carver

Vijay Anand

Dec 18, 2008, 1:58:18 AM12/18/08
to ifixc...@googlegroups.com
Gentlemen,
This is all a very interesting conversation, but i remember arun and i
creating a seperate group for discussing this. Can we take it up
there? I am starting to get complaints.
Thanks and really appreciate it.
>>> here<http://www.cmdachennai.gov.in/Volume2_English_PDF/Volume2_Map06_City_Street_Alignment.pdf>.
--