IEEE Virtual Reality 2007: Integration of Haptics in Virtual Environments - A Perception-Based Approach

iFeelPixel association

May 8, 2007, 2:04:46 PM5/8/07
to iFeelPixel
Hello everyone,

Here is an extract of a conference about Pseudo-Haptic feedback,
presented by A. Lécuyer, INRIA

IEEE Virtual Reality 2007
http://conferences.computer.org/vr/2007/

Tutorial 3 - Integration of Haptics in Virtual Environments, March
10th
http://conferences.computer.org/vr/2007/program/tutorials.html

"My presentation deals with a recent and novel concept in the field of
haptic interaction with virtual environments: Pseudo-Haptic Feedback.

With PH, it is possible to use a passive device such as a classical
computer mouse or a spaceball to simulate force-feedback.

Outline
Introduction
Simulation of pseudo-haptic properties
Friction, stiffness, weight, textures
Pseudo-haptic applications
Training, entertainment, GUI, medical
Lessons learned
Conclusion

I will describe how Pseudo-Haptic feedback (PH) has been already used
to simulate different « classical » haptic properties, such as :
friction,
stiffness, weight, or textures.
Then I will describe how it has been transferred into several
applications,
such as for training in Virtual Reality, entertainment, graphical
user
interfaces (GUI), etc"

Tactile Images

IFeelPixel Software
- Real haptic, sound, pseudo-haptic
- Perception of depth/textures of
images/pictures
- Applications: web,
games, etc
- free download:
http://www.ifeelpixel.com

You can Read the full tutorial here:
http://www.irisa.fr/bunraku/GENS/alecuyer/tutorials_fichiers/pseudo_haptic_comments.pdf

simulation, Control Display ratio, spaceball, IEEE, textures,
stiffness, virtual reality, friction

Sincere regards,
Frederic P.

iFeelPixel Association
Interactive Accessibility Via Sense of Touch