Thank you for IEP and some suggestions

valerio....@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 12:59:00 PM3/20/16
to Interactive Editor for Python
Hello guys. Thank you for the editor, I love it. I have some questions about some features which, if not implemented, they could be treated as a suggestions for the next version. They are mostly about shortcuts, as I use my keyboards a lot and would improve my speed with IEP.

1) is there a shortcut for setting a breakpoint on a particular line? I use this all the time in matlab and is very convenient, as soon as you discover it.
2) is there a shortcut for switching the focus between the editor and the shell? I would greatly appreciate it.
3) this is more of a bug report which you may always be aware of: the debug stops when I run plt.show(), and to make it continue I have to close the matplotlib window. Is there any workaround to this?

That's all I can think of for now. I really appreciate your work.

Cheers,
Valerio

valerio....@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 1:06:29 PM3/20/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, valerio....@gmail.com
Point 3 is not a problem of the IDE but as it turns out a problem with matplotlib. I just had to turn on interactive mode with plt.ion(). Sorry guys, I am new to Python.

valerio....@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 1:12:05 PM3/20/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, valerio....@gmail.com
Also
4) The possibility to run the script by ignoring all breakpoints. Very, very useful

valerio....@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 1:23:12 PM3/20/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, valerio....@gmail.com
Sorry for multiple posts, I don't think I can edit previous posts.
The "Go to definition" function does not work in my case. If I define a function called "try" in mymodule.py another file, and I use it in, for example, thisfile.py, it can correctly run the function try, but if I "Go to definition" on try() of thisfile.py, nothing happens... how does it work?

valerio....@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 5:38:14 PM3/20/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, valerio....@gmail.com
and, again, another problem. I would like to use PyQt4 gui for interactive plotting. I created a matplotlibrc file in my folder and wrote

interactive : True

backend : Qt4Agg

, then change the gui to PyQt4. However, the interactive plotting does not work at all. Any help in solving this?

Almar Klein

Apr 7, 2016, 10:32:54 AM4/7/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, valerio....@gmail.com

Cleaning up my email, I just saw that I never answered this. Sorry about that.

Did you put plt.ion() at the top of your script?

-        Almar

valerio....@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2016, 6:51:43 AM4/11/16
to Interactive Editor for Python, valerio....@gmail.com
Did this, and it worked. After some time I am using IEP (and loving it) I would still love to have some of the features I mentioned above, especially the shortcut for setting breakpoints seems easy to do and very valuable :)

Almar Klein

Apr 11, 2016, 8:27:11 AM4/11/16
to valerio....@gmail.com, Interactive Editor for Python, valerio....@gmail.com