Feedback

1 view

Rochey

Apr 24, 2011, 12:05:21 AM4/24/11
to IE Directory Forum
Dear All,

I have a request and would be very grateful if any of you could offer
a few lines of feedback. A colleage of mine has described herself as
someone with very limited IT skills. However, she has an open mind and
is trying to discover more about integrating technology into
education. Recently, she wrote a piece for our weekly newsletter on
how she sees Tech being integrated into our school. Here’s what she
had to say.

The Infant Department held their first exciting Technology
Meet Up in the Infant School on Friday 25 March at 1.30 pm.
The theme was AWARENESS. The meeting was set up
to focus on becoming more AWARE of the technologies
surrounding us in everyday life. A whole range of interesting
discussions took place on subjects such as Twitter, GUUBES,
Moodle, computer safety and responsible behaviour.
The Technology Meet Ups are our response to the fact that
ICT needs to overarch the curriculum taught to children here
at school and that achieving this means everyone being on
board – children, parents and teachers alike. Whether we like
it or not, Twitter, Virtual Learning Environments, Facebook,
augmented reality and the ever growing number of new
technologies are here to stay. Children must be able to solve
complex problems both now and in the future. They need to
be taught how to find information, rigorously analyse the
quality and accuracy of information and creatively and
effectively use information to accomplish a goal. As
educators, we must make sure that children are able to wield
these tools of technology in a socially responsible way and
with regard to their own safety. Children, parents and
teachers must do with ICT what they have always done with
other areas of the curriculum – work together for the good
of the individual child. Only when this is achieved can we
hope to truly transform the learning process into a rigorous
and more relevant experience for all our pupils.

To me, this is a fantastic insight into integrating Technology into
Education. Certainly not what I would describe as being written by a
Newbie… I would be very grateful if you could let me know your
thoughts as I would like to share some external feedback with my
colleague as a way of saying ‘look how far you have come.’

Many thanks,

Chris R

Jacqui Cyrus

Apr 24, 2011, 5:09:28 AM4/24/11
to ie-direct...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris R:
Her piece for your weekly newsletter was well written. She could add, that
like any other skill, learning to use digital technology tools takes time and
patience. I learned to ride a bicycle as an adult. I think of those skills that I put
into action that afternoon have also been called upon in several other situations,
including learning new tools. Some tools are easier, more fun to learn than others. Get
reasonably proficient with one tool before you move to the next tool.

And, have fun!

-j-

> --

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
=========================
Jacqui Cyrus, M.A., M.Ed., Ed.D.
Instructional Technology
School of Education
University of Guam
Mangilao, GU 96923
++++++++++++++++++
Email: dr.j...@gmail.com
iChat: Jacqui...@mac.com
Yahoo Chat: dr.jcyrus
Skype: jcyrus
Tags: http://del.icio.us/jcyrus
++++++++++++++++
TechNotes BLOG: http://technotes.edublogs.org/
EdTech BLOG: http://cyrustech.blogspot.com/
WTN BLOG: http://jacqui.blogsome.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jcyrus
=============
H: 671.477.8704
W: 671.735.2408

a cLiL to cLiMB

Apr 24, 2011, 5:24:47 AM4/24/11
to ie-direct...@googlegroups.com
I think it's fantastic! Teachers who'd like to learn more should set up a PLN (personal learning network) in twitter - you can learn an awful lot from one another. I'm here: https://twitter.com/aClilToClimb
Chiew

jfb57

Apr 24, 2011, 1:44:56 PM4/24/11
to IE Directory Forum
I am a retired head teacher & would have loved to have your friend on
my staff! Fabulous approach! I also agree abiout setting up a twitter
a/c to extend your PLN. I've learnt SO MUCH!

Walker, Mark M

Apr 24, 2011, 9:03:39 PM4/24/11
to ie-direct...@googlegroups.com
I would say - "well said". Key words or phrases educators use regardless of ICT e.g. rigorously analysis, complex problems make this a relevant comment.

Mark Walker
Principal
Elsternwick Primary School
Ph: 8534 6100 Fax: 9596 2320
www.elsternwickps.vic.edu.au
http://mwalker.com.au/

Chris R

Apr 25, 2011, 9:41:56 AM4/25/11
to ie-direct...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the feedback... It is ALL very useful.