Stacked of local AIS values.

Juan Pablo Fiorenza

Nov 21, 2022, 4:16:17 AM11/21/22
to IDTxl
Hi everyone,

My question is about how the local values are stacked.
After applying the local estimation of Active Information Storage for a process of s samples and r replications with a given max_lag I got an array of dimension 1 and length = (s - max_lag)*r.

Then, I would like to know:
(a) Do the first (s - max_lag) values correspond to all the samples of the first replication?
(b) Or, do the first r values correspond to the first time step - i.e. one sample - of all the replications?

Kind regards,
Juan Pablo Fiorenza.

Juan Pablo Fiorenza

Nov 29, 2022, 5:47:39 AM11/29/22
to IDTxl
Hi everyone,

After looking deeply in my code, I noted that the local estimation is performed using the samples collected with the method "get_realisations(...)":

current_value_realisations = data.get_realisations(current_value=cv_ais, idx_list=[cv_ais])[0]
source_realisations = data.get_realisations(current_value=cv_ais, idx_list=network_analysis._lag_to_idx(ais_selected_vars, cv_ais[1]))[0]
local_ais = cmi_est.estimate(var1=current_value_realisations, var2=source_realisations, conditional=None)

In the "get_realisations(...)" method, the line 292 (see link) I think shows that the values are stacked as in (a) (ref. first message); i.e., the first (s-max_lag) samples correspond to the first replication.

Line 292 --> realisations[r:r + n_real_time, i] = self.data[idx[0], idx[1]: last_sample, replication]

Feel free to correct me where I am wrong or add some extra information.

Kind regards,
Juan Pablo Fiorenza.