idTracker crashing for videos over 15 minutes

lcotg...@hotmail.com

Jan 16, 2018, 7:33:14 AM1/16/18
to idTracker/idSocial users
I am trying to track a video with 9 fish in a circular arena (see pic attached). When collecting the videos, our camera split them into two files, one approx. 22minutes long, and the other is approx. 13 minutes long.

We have had no problems tracking the shorter videos (1 hour, high accuracy), however, on the longer videos this has been taking 4+ hours to run, and often crashes half way through. We trialled it on another computer and it works fine, is there certain requirements of a computer to process a video of this type without cutting each longer video in half?

2018-01-16.png

Alfonso Pérez Escudero

Jan 20, 2018, 12:14:57 PM1/20/18
to idTracker/idSocial users
Hi!

In principle, the total length of the video should not be a problem (idTracker is prepared to handle very long videos without any problem). And in fact, it is better to track longer videos, because it allows idTracker to collect better references.

Something that might happen is the following: In the longer video, idTracker may have collected more references, and this takes more RAM memory. Perhaps the computer you're trying to use does not have enough memory. There are two solutions for this: (1) Use a computer with more RAM. (2) Lower the number of references (in idTracker's interface). The default number is 3000, but you can probably lower it to 1000 without too much loss (we typically find good results with as few as 500 references).

I hope this helps!

Alfonso

millandm...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2018, 12:25:40 PM1/26/18
to idTracker/idSocial users
I notice you say your camera splits it into 2 files. I don't know if this helps, but my AVCHD cameras limit file size to 4Gb, and for clips longer than 4Gb, it splits it into more than one file. There are other files in my camera's AVCHD folder that tell a video editor that this is all one clip. What I do put the whole AVCHD video folder from my camera onto a drive in my computer, open Premiere Pro and import the clip, and encode the clip as an mp4. I then import this mp4 into idTracker.