Merging Idris-Hackers into Idris-Community.

Jan de Muijnck-Hughes

Jul 26, 2021, 6:08:32 AM7/26/21
to Idris Programming Language
Dear Idris Community.

With the rise of Idris2 we have seen some nice advancements in the community.

An (un)fortunate side-effect is that we now have two GitHub Organisations to organise community activities:

Idris-Hackers

and

Idris-Community.

## Historical Context

For over a *decade*, the Idris-Hackers GitHub organisation has been around to coordinate community projects.
There you will find some interesting projects that are in differing states of activity.
For example:

+ defunct backends for Idris1 (the original Java and LLVM backends);
+ interesting libraries (USB, time, lens); and
+ tutorials and demos.

Not to mention some of the editor modes.
Sadly, some of the projects on Idris-Hackers have been dormant for a long time, and are in effect no-longer viable or unmaintained.

## Idris Community.

In December 2020 a new community was established by Joey Eremondi. This is the Idris-Community GitHub Organisation as, IIRC, an attempt to get an Idris community going, and IIUC Joey did not know about Idris-Hackers at the time!
That is not a bad thing and demonstrates how 'activite' Idris-Hackers was not!

Note, As a mea culpa I did see the invite for Idris-Community over the Winter Festive Break, but I try to ignore *all* work related things when I am not working!

## The Future

There will allways be a natural ebb & flow of people taking interest in the Idris language and working on it.
A Community *is* a good idea, and we should support it.
Frankly, those involved in the Idris-Community organisation are not the first (Hello Idris-Hacker member here!) and not the last people who will be interested in Idris.

We need to, however, do something about the two communities.

## Merging Organisations

With the attention and support clearly going to Idris-Community, I therefore propose that we look to merge the two organisations and their 'active' projects together under Idris-Community itself.
I am pretty sure we can archive organisations and point people in the correct direction.

More importantly 'Idris-Community', I think, presents a more inclusive, welcoming name than Idris-Hackers will ever do.

## Road Map

So over the next few months, as time allows, I propose that we look to migrate 'active' important projects across to Idris-Community, and archive the remaining ones.

Specifically, I will look to migrate the editor modes only as they seem to be the most active, but I am happy to consider reasons for other projects to be migrated.

Thanks

Jan