construct ROC from SPP/idr/conservative set

Yan Zhu

Feb 14, 2018, 6:52:27 PM2/14/18
to idr-discuss
Hi,

I would like to construct ROC curve for the peaks that are called from SPP and filtered by idr (my peaks vs ENCODE gold standard peaks). In MACS case, I would use p-value, but SPP result didn't assign p-value. I would imagine to use Z-score for SPP peaks in this case for construing ROC curve, should I use signal value(col 7) or -log10(q-value) (col 9)?

Thanks
Yan

Anshul Kundaje

Feb 14, 2018, 6:58:39 PM2/14/18
to idr-d...@googlegroups.com
Use column 7 i.e. peak score from the narrowPeak files.

-Anshul.

Yan Zhu

Feb 15, 2018, 12:46:02 PM2/15/18
to idr-discuss
Thanks for your reply, does this signal value (column 7) represent statistical significance ?

and a more general question, why ENCODE suggests to use SPP for TF peak call but MACS for histone?

Thanks

Yan

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Yan Zhu <yan...@vt.edu> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to construct ROC curve for the peaks that are called from SPP and filtered by idr (my peaks vs ENCODE gold standard peaks). In MACS case, I would use p-value, but SPP result didn't assign p-value. I would imagine to use Z-score for SPP peaks in this case for construing ROC curve, should I use signal value(col 7) or -log10(q-value) (col 9)?

Thanks
Yan

Anshul Kundaje

Feb 16, 2018, 5:41:27 PM2/16/18
to idr-d...@googlegroups.com
No the signal value is ChIP - input with a penalty for peak shape (You'll have to look at the exact details in the SPP paper). So its a signal score.

SPP consistently exhibits better reproducibility than MACS2 but is primarily designed for punctate sharp binding events. So we use it for TFs. MACS2 does a better job with variable width enriched regions like those from histone marks.

Thanks,
Anshul.