IA Nimbus - we have an enquiry about its history

Bluo

Jan 14, 2015, 4:21:37 AM1/14/15
to idlealongass...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

We've had an enquiry from the new owner of Nimbus.  Does anyone have any information about this old IA?  It has wooden spars.

Thanks Keith

Sandy Ferguson

Jan 14, 2015, 4:53:07 AM1/14/15
to idlealongass...@googlegroups.com
We've had an enquiry from the new owner of Nimbus.  Does anyone have any information about this old IA?  It has wooden spars.

Thanks Keith

The Nimbus I owned had a varnished panel about 400 x 200 mm in the middle of the aft bulkhead, a screw fitting and the name Nimbus painted on it. I'll have a photograph of it (the aft end of the cockpit) somewhere and I'll see if I can find it if it is of any use. We bought Nimbus from a member of the Aurora Yacht Club (Nelson) and used to sail on the madflats behind Mapua. In winter we sometimes took the outgoing tide and stayed out at sea for the day, returning on the incoming tide. The only requirement by our parents was that we be home in time for dinner. A couple of young teenagers, no VHF, no cell phones, no comms of any kind. That's how you learned risk management though we called it "What if the mast fell down?". If we'd drowned ourselves we'd never have been allow to go sailing again - so we didn't drown ourselves.

Sandy

Lara Wilson

Jan 14, 2015, 9:47:22 PM1/14/15
to idlealongass...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for posting. I wonder if the rigging is off your boat? Our hull is ply but could be a replacement because we suspect the rigging is much older.

-Glen

Sandy Ferguson

Jan 15, 2015, 1:31:28 AM1/15/15
to Lara Wilson, idlealongass...@googlegroups.com

I wonder if the rigging is off your boat? Our hull is ply but could be a replacement because we suspect the rigging is much older.

From memory (over 5 decades ago) our rigging was stainless wire covered with plastic tubing and the eyes also plastic covered. Admittedly I'd be surprised if the plastic would last that long.

I checked on the IA website to see if mine of Nimbus were there but there seems to be photos missing, especially from some pages?

Sandy

Message has been deleted

Bluo

Jan 15, 2015, 4:55:36 AM1/15/15
to idlealongass...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandy - I have created a new page https://sites.google.com/site/idlealongsnz/ia-people-and-history/photo-gallery/nimbus---ia-17 and added three photos to it.

No idea why the photos had disappeared - but my apologies.

Regards Keith