I 49 Summer Wine ( Zig Zag )

Echo Valley Olives

May 4, 2012, 3:37:57 AM5/4/12
to idlealongass...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.
 An update on the restoration of  I 49. During the removal of all the paint from transom and top sides we have discovered that I 49 was originally fully varnished and on the transom we uncovered the name Zig Zag in large letters either side of the rudder. The name had been signwitten over the original varnish and had left a faded but still visible impression in the sanded top veneer of the ply transom.
Is Zig Zag the original name given to I 49 if so we will use that name as it is in the tradition of the early boats in using the leters I and A in the name.If like me you are old enough to remember the use of Zig Zag cigarette papers for rolling your own as I used to ,the company colours were yellow and red. I 49 had yellow decks and red bottom when we discovered her. there was no caricature of a sailor smoking a roll up painted anwhere on the hull though!
Of course as a reformed smoker of many years I dont condone smoking these days and certainly would not have the energy to sail an I A if I still smoked.
Maybee some of you older I A hands will be able to remember I 49 with such an unusual name  boldly painted on her stern !
Please reply with any information to this forum thanks.
Don Windley
IA 33 Redwing

KW Salmon

May 6, 2012, 3:30:39 AM5/6/12
to IdleAlongAssociationOfNZ
Hi Don

Summer Wine IA 49 is recorded as belonging an R Taylor in Wellington some time ago - not sure when.  So I guess they may be the same boat. I cannot find a Zig Zag on the IA Register.

I agree the IA Regatta last weekend was great - hope to see ZigZag/Summer Wine out sailing in it soon.

Cheers, Keith