Moffat Cup and other events in March 2012

6 views
Skip to first unread message

KW Salmon

unread,
Feb 8, 2012, 3:48:56 AM2/8/12
to IdleAlongAss...@googlegroups.com
Hi all IA sailors

Our apologies for the delay since we last wrote to you.  We hope you have had an enjoyable summer break - even if the weather has been disappointing.

We would be very grateful if you could assist us with a review of our sailing plans for 2012 - please reply by this Saturday 11 February. 

It is only a month to the Moffat Cup regatta scheduled to be held at Taupo on the weekend of 10 to 11 March. 

We are very conscious that most of the dozen or so people who might take part in the Moffat Cup live in Auckland or north of Auckland.  We are aware that a number of people are happy to travel to Taupo with the attendant travel and accommodation costs.

However, before we confirm to the Taupo Yacht Club that we will be racing there, we want to get certainty that we have at least 10 definite entrants for a Taupo event.  If we dont get sufficient numbers, we propose to hold the annual IA champs in Auckland -- details to be arranged at a later date.

The implications of the decision are that the WYA (Wellington Yachting Association) require us to hold an event in 3 different provinces over 3 years with at least 10 entrants in order for the Moffat Cup to be engraved with the names of the winners.  To meet this condition we would need to sail the event in a province other than Auckland or Northland.

However an informal discussion amongst some IA sailors suggests that we are more interested in having fun sailing than in the Moffat Cup itself.

We would be grateful if you could answer the following questions to guide us in our decision making (please delete the appropriate YES / NO or other options):

(1) My name:
     My location:
 
(2) I definitely wish to compete at Taupo on 10-11 March and am prepared to submit the entry fee of $100 to the IA Secretary by 17 February (The entry fee will be held in trust and applied to the Auckland event if the Taupo event doesn't go ahead).
                                                                     YES / NO

(3)  If the championships are not held at Taupo on 10-11 March I would plan to sail at another event
    (a) on the same weekend or later in March     YES / NO   (please tell us if any weekends would not suit you)
    (b) at Easter  6 to 9 April                              YES / NO
    (c) on 14-15 April                                         YES / NO

(4) I think that reviving the Moffat Cup is  
                   Very Important / Moderately important / Less important that keeping the class active

(5) I would like to suggest the following ideas to help get more people actively sailing IAs:
  

(6) Please add any other comments you have about the options:
     


We will analyse the results on Sunday 12 February and get back to you asap.

Many thanks for your help

Regards, Keith
 
PS If you have any questions, please phone Gary Matthews on his mobile: 027-481-6850
 
PSS We regret to advise that due to unforeseen circumstances the NBYC Opening Regatta on 3-4 March has been postponed.
--
 
Keith Salmon

Email:  KWSa...@gmail.com
Web:  
Idle-Along Association of NZ    




Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages