Windhover III

Pat Davies

Sep 13, 2011, 11:43:22 PM9/13/11
to IdleAlongAssociationOfNZ
I currently have Windhover III in the boat building school at
Hobsonville getting some much needed TLC. I have removed the old ply
top and have purchased new ply to replace that. The school think that
the Kaiwaka plank is just too tired to try and maintain, especially in
the cockpit and there are a lot of butt plates holding the floor
together and old damage to the frame. They are suggesting I replace
the planks with 9mm marine ply? Reluctant as I am to do this it may
be the way forward otherwise I'll be too frightened to sail her
again. I'll try and maintain as much of the original boat as I can
though so I reckon Windhover III will be good for action this summer.

Bluo

Sep 14, 2011, 4:45:41 AM9/14/11
to IdleAlongAssociationOfNZ
Hi Pat
I can understand why you are reluctant to replace the kaiwaka.
Hopefully someone may come up with another idea.
It would be great to see you back on the water this summer. Any
thoughts of going to Taupo for the Moffat Cup next year?
Cheers, Keith

Pat Davies

Sep 16, 2011, 7:40:17 PM9/16/11
to IdleAlongAssociationOfNZ
Hi Keith,

Yes I'll be keen to sail at Taupo next year, one way or another
Windhover will be afloat. The side planks are good so I may just ply
the bottom or maybe even replank her but first the ribs need replacing
as both main ones are cracked (the school think the boat's back may
have been broken sometime in the past?) I have a lot of work ahead of
me and it's already costing me a substantial amount of money but a
labour of love. Ultimately though there's no point in having a boat I
can't sail.
rgds.

Pat