Improved layout of WListbox

Flemming Birch

Jun 13, 2021, 5:08:16 PM6/13/21
to idem...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I have been working on a small project of my own, basically improving the layout and usability of the use of wListboxes in iDempiere. This effort has been focused on:

·       Show the header in the wListBox when opening a form

·       Save the width of the columns, so you don’t have to resize them every time you open the form

The reason for doing this, is that I feel the layout of iDempiere could/should be improved significantly, as I do believe this would raise the user acceptance of iDempiere. I’m talking with experience as I have worked for one of the big ERP vendors, where the mantra more or less was: seeing is believing, the UX had the focus, as this is where we win the customer acceptance and not the backbone/application logic. I do feal that we with iDempiere is focusing on the backbone of the application and here we are superior and second to none, going forward I personally would like if the UX also got some attention and this would increase the number of tickets sold 😊

I have refactored the following windows listed and shown down below:

 Product Info

 Business Partner Info

 Order Info

 Invoice Info

 Shipment Info

 Payment Info

 Resource Info

 Asset Info

infoWindow 1.png

infoWindow 2.png

Generate Shipments (manual)

Generate Invoices (manual)

Matching  PO – Receipt - Invoice

Payment Allocation

Payment Selection (manual)

Create From Shipment

Create From Invoice

Create From RMA

create from.png

I have created a couple of videos showing what I have done:

https://youtu.be/afpAHFP1Kyk

https://youtu.be/y_seb2eumzI

https://youtu.be/hlyp1iXIBEQ

https://youtu.be/ItKggchTTH0

What do you think?

Regards

/Flemming

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Jun 14, 2021, 4:17:00 AM6/14/21
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Flemming, great ideas.

From what I saw:

Videos 1 and 4: are about saving the width of the grid columns as user preference - great!

Video 3: is about allowing to select locator directly in the grid - great!

Video 2: I didn't see what is the proposal there

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

El 13/6/21 a las 23:08, Flemming Birch escribió:

Flemming Birch

Jun 14, 2021, 12:02:12 PM6/14/21
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Video 2 is basically just to show a form where the headers are already shown when opening the form and just remembering that this form is also saving the column width.

/Flemming

Deepak Pansheriya (Logilite.com)

Jul 8, 2022, 12:33:21 PM7/8/22
to iDempiere
@flemming, This is useful features. Are you planning to contribute to core?

gsje...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2022, 5:15:52 AM7/9/22
to idem...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Yes, I’m planning on committing this to core when time permits, it has been a very busy time for me the last year 😊but hopefully, I will have it done within 1 month, if everything goes as planned.

/Flemming

Generate Shipments (manual)

Generate Invoices (manual)

Matching  PO – Receipt - Invoice

Payment Allocation

Payment Selection (manual)

Create From Shipment

Create From Invoice

Create From RMA

I have created a couple of videos showing what I have done:

https://youtu.be/afpAHFP1Kyk

https://youtu.be/y_seb2eumzI

https://youtu.be/hlyp1iXIBEQ

https://youtu.be/ItKggchTTH0

What do you think?

Regards

/Flemming

Steven Sackett

Jul 24, 2022, 1:36:06 AM7/24/22
to iDempiere
Hi Flemming,
Being able to resize the columns in Forms would be great.

In window Customization, Logilite made a change for us that added a flag on User "Can set Preferences for Others" (or similar name).  When a User with that flag set as Y customises the window layout and saves the change iDempiere prompts "do you want to apply for all users who have not set their own Preferences".   So anyone who has not set a preference on grid view column widths and order then sees that Preference set.  We find it useful to do some quick customisation changes at/before go-live that then apply to everyone ... and without having to probably change things as System Administrator.

Do you think it would be possible to do something similar with the user changes to Forms that you are describing?

Another annoyance is that whenever the data displayed in a field is small you find the column name is very long.  Being able to easily change the display label would be good.

regards
steven

gsje...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2022, 1:18:34 PM7/25/22
to idem...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Yes it would be possible, but I do think it would break the nice logic of saving the column width when closing the form. The saving of the column width is done without any user intervention, have to think how this could be implemented.