Costing Engine (Product Ledger vs Inventory Fact Account)

Habib Salhi

Feb 2, 2023, 2:43:13 AM2/2/23
to iDempiere
Dear Community

wanted to ask your experience in implementations that involve many warehouse transactions, returns, landed cost, back dated entries. After some time, matching between Product Ledger and inventory account becomes very challenging
 so I have many questions:

- are we the only ones facing this issue or is it normal ?
- is iDempiere the only system having this issue ? how does other open source or commercial erp's handle this ?
- how do customers accept this ?

I understand in some cases you are bound to have differences due to the complexity of the warehouse but are customers ok with this ? is the regular inventory revaluation the answer ?

for one picky customer, we had to change the logic the product ledger to post based on transaction date rather than dateentered but this involves alot of DB triggers, after events and sql functions that need to run nightly to re-post all entries that have a difference between product ledger and accounts but its a nightmare that doesnt end.. the Client goes back to edit entries made 8 months ago that contain 100's of lines and then it takes hours and hours to reset the costing

look forward to hearing your experience / feedback

Norbert Bede

Feb 2, 2023, 4:24:28 AM2/2/23
to iDempiere
Hi,

our subjective experience: we also have problems, mainly with new backdated documents,  backdated price changes, this cause wrong costing-qty balance.

what we did: we implemented a process to recalculate costing records including tables such as broken products (when consistency was broken) and a recalculation queue where we start the recalculation and mark it as done when it's ready,
this process is period sensitive and when start, delete fact_acct and m_costdetail/history records scoped periods (allways from history dat to now). the result is reconstruction and correct calculation.

This development started working in production around 2013, still has a lot of room for improvement. but last week I was able to recalculate 310,000 documents in 4 hours
The solution also required several changes to the core, which are customized.

I found same/similar solution in popular information system, so we assumed we choose right solution.

We never found budget and time to publish as plugin and still require strategical core changes. (prerequisites )

i had once discussion with Deepak, he has quite a lot experience probably he can suggest out-of-box solution.

Sincerely
Norbert

Heng Sin Low

Feb 2, 2023, 5:20:45 AM2/2/23
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Recalculation is a necessary feature and is not fully developed in core. Any contribution to complete that would be greatly appreciated.

Orlando Curieles

Feb 2, 2023, 7:40:58 AM2/2/23
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hello, we also have this problem. In the same way, we created a process for the re-costing, we should have a meeting to review said processes and see how we unify this in a single plugin taking the best practices, ours does not touch any kind of the core.

  Regards.

Norbert Bede

Feb 2, 2023, 8:34:48 AM2/2/23
to iDempiere
hi,

looks the problem exists, we need identify and define it in wide perspective, collect existing solution concepts POC documentation, then make final brainstorming to get the best vision.
then take action, find financial resources (this is complex and huge task, need donations and sponsorship)

nb

muri...@devcoffee.com.br

Feb 2, 2023, 8:58:38 AM2/2/23
to iDempiere
Hi,

We have almost the same here.

a process that recalculates cost amounts and marks documents for reposting and records a history table of adjustments made for reference purposes.

It is a long process, which needs to be used with a little attention, but it helped us a lot.

I believe that to become a core solution, it needs to be better worked on, merging ideas and experiences with others that also have a similar solution, and we are open to discuss/contribute

Andres Lopez Andrade

Feb 2, 2023, 5:32:42 PM2/2/23
to iDempiere
Great idea, I've the same issue and we have a recalculate process to do that, let´s have a meeting!

Alejandro Jesus Guerra

Feb 2, 2023, 5:42:34 PM2/2/23
to idem...@googlegroups.com

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Feb 3, 2023, 5:18:32 AM2/3/23
to idem...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest:

Who wants to take the lead and create an initial specification (can be based on their own solution of course)

Starting with this spec the others can peer review and suggest improvements based on their own approaches to the problem

I guess a wiki page can be used for this at first.

It's just an idea, if somebody has an idea how to make this advance different, totally open to ideas.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Norbert Bede

Feb 3, 2023, 6:26:08 AM2/3/23
to iDempiere
@carlosruiz, i would suggest each contributor should describe his own solution in details (1 wiki page.). then we will see the complexity and outcome. wdyt ?

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Feb 3, 2023, 6:42:45 AM2/3/23
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that sounds like a good idea too.

Please note at the end I think we still need somebody to lead the effort and collect / summarize / merge ideas, etc.  Otherwise is possible that will end simply as another unimplemented idea.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Norbert Bede

Feb 3, 2023, 6:48:12 AM2/3/23
to iDempiere

Probably we have 10 experience in this field, i can manage it. Should create wiki to crosslink subpages. Then others can state the date when we will have deadline.

After we have inputs I can make comparison. If someone will have more significant  solution, experience then that person should prepare PR and combine concepts, etc.

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Feb 3, 2023, 7:16:47 AM2/3/23
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Great!   +1 to do it as you propose

Heng Sin Low

Feb 3, 2023, 7:53:18 AM2/3/23
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Whoever built this, please make it testable. Complex stuff is going to be fragile without proper unit test coverage.

Norbert Bede

Mar 19, 2023, 2:54:36 PM3/19/23
to iDempiere
Dear Friends.

as a 1st step, I created a project wiki where we can collect all inputs.

PLEASE: All contributors involved, please open the link and enter the details of each solution

in the last table, click on your project page link, this will create a new page, then describe your solution, design, how it works, what problem solution, constraints, methodology, screenshots, videos, code/plugin (any meaningful information)

My suggested Deadline to finish pages, is 31.3.2023 (2 weeks from now 19 march 2023)

When we are ready, we can create an online meeting, invite the core contributors.

Norbert Bede

muri...@devcoffee.com.br

Mar 28, 2023, 9:23:01 AM3/28/23
to iDempiere
Hi Norbert,

I updated the wiki page with more details about how we do this, and also adding a second solution that we use in some specific cases.

Waiting for others then maybe we can schedule a meeting to discuss ideas and doubts.

Norbert Bede

Mar 28, 2023, 12:51:06 PM3/28/23
to iDempiere
Hi @Murilhot

i put my description to our recalculation solution to a linked page

available trough

our deadline to collect ideas about recalculation is till 31.3. Please submit your design.

Meanwhile we start to talk with Michael and Steven about a costing documentation privately.
My intention was to talk the best CO/FI experts and get an industry standard vision and requirement list to a long-term working and standard costing solution.

Norbert

Jorge Colmenarez

Apr 10, 2023, 11:33:07 AM4/10/23
to iDempiere
Hi, I also want to join the brainstorming on this topic, we are currently developing a process that allows us to recreate costs and it has worked for us so far.

How do I join the discussion?

Greetings.

Norbert Bede

Apr 10, 2023, 3:14:10 PM4/10/23