Resize of iDempiere repository - REQUIRES CLONING AGAIN FOR ALL DEVELOPERS!

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gómez

Nov 18, 2015, 10:13:04 AM11/18/15
to iDempiere
Hello community,

As you already must know bitbucket has a hard limit of 2GB for mercurial repositories, since some time ago bitbucket is complaining about the size of iDempiere repository (1.5GB) and requiring to take measures before the service is stopped.
You can read more info about this here:

Glad to announce that Hiệp lê quý worked on this with the ticket IDEMPIERE-2940 and he achieved to shrink the size of the repository to 268.7MB according to bitbucket stats.
Thanks a lot to Hiệp!!

The approach followed was to remove the jar and zip files from the history of iDempiere and all needed libraries will be downloaded at materialization time, most of libraries are referenced to download from maven and a few files are download directly from bitbucket download area (this still has some room for improvement).

Well, the benefits are clear, with a 269MB repository iDempiere will be a lot faster to download initially, all the tips and tricks about incremental download hopefully won't be needed after this, and we'll still have some years ahead of bitbucket service before reaching again the 2GB limit  :-)

But as usual there are some compromises involved on this change:

1 - the materialization time will take now more time as it requires to download all required libraries

2 - all historic links of iDempiere commits (i.e. some found on forums) are broken as the changeset IDs changed with this movement.  But to help with this we're preserving the old iDempiere repository renamed as idempiere-historic, so it's not a big deal to change the URL adding -historic when you find and need one of these broken links.

3 - and this is maybe the biggest compromise here: ALL of you that forked or cloned iDempiere will require to clone again the repository, if you try to do hg pull it will fail with the message "abort: repository is unrelated", so cloning and materializing again is required.
If you just want to keep your repository as is, you can change the URL on the file .hg/hgrc to point to idempiere-historic instead of idempiere - but please notice historic repository will not receive any new commit in future - is kept there just for historic purposes.

4 - trying to setup an old version on eclipse will fail, most of the jar files are not present on this new repository - including the database seed for old versions, if you have this requirement please refer to idempiere-historic in order to setup an old version.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a required move to keep the project going - long live to iDempiere!   :-)

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

Hiep Lq

Nov 18, 2015, 12:15:57 PM11/18/15
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
Thanks Mr Carlos for support this improvement.
just add more info to let other people feeling free.
1 - the materialization time will take now more time as it requires to download all required libraries
but it just take one time. when you have requirement to materialize many time, just make it as cachee (host same local path and modified hosts file)

3 - and this is maybe the biggest compromise here: ALL of you that forked or cloned iDempiere will require to clone again the repository
if you do same process to reduce your repository as idempiere, you already sync with new idempiere repository

you are welcome to contact me relate this problem, but please contribute a wiki relate your issue.

Lê Quý Hiệp
Email: hie...@hasuvimex.vn
Skype: admin.hasuvimex

Company: Thanh Hoa Fishery Import - Export J.s.c  (HasuvimexDL 47
Add: Lot E, Le Mon Industrial Zone, Thanh Hoa, Vietnam

Eduardo Gil

Nov 18, 2015, 10:33:15 PM11/18/15
to iDempiere
Hi everyone.

Is the download code, install prerequisites and setting up eclise with the sames steps?

Can we work with idempiere 2.1 source with this change? or do we have to stay in idempiere-historic to work with this?

Regards,

Eduardo Gil

Nov 19, 2015, 12:01:26 AM11/19/15
to iDempiere
Well if this work i materialize 3.* perfect with luna and buckminstes 4.4

With eclipse indigo, buckminster 3.7 and trying to materialize 2.1 i get the folowing error and never import the projects,

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=/home/egil/workspace/idempiere/idempiere21/targetPlatform, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Artifact not found: osgi.bundle,com.springsource.javax.mail,1.4.5.
/home/egil/workspace/idempiere/idempiere21/lib/plugins/com.springsource.javax.mail_1.4.5.jar (No existe el fichero o el directorio)
Artifact not found: osgi.bundle,org.apache.poi,3.7.0.
/home/egil/workspace/idempiere/idempiere21/lib/plugins/org.apache.poi_3.7.0.jar (No existe el fichero o el directorio)
Problems downloading artifact: osgi.bundle,com.springsource.javax.activation,1.1.1.
MD5 hash is not as expected. Expected: 4ffafe635551f1f1096dffc01a7e0c50 and found 5f0792c4261a2731d694205866371eab.
Artifact not found: osgi.bundle,org.apache.felix.webconsole.plugins.packageadmin,1.0.0.
/home/egil/workspace/idempiere/idempiere21/lib/plugins/org.apache.felix.webconsole.plugins.packageadmin_1.0.0.jar (No existe el fichero o el directorio)
Artifact not found: osgi.bundle,org.apache.felix.webconsole.plugins.memoryusage,1.0.4.
/home/egil/workspace/idempiere/idempiere21/lib/plugins/org.apache.felix.webconsole.plugins.memoryusage_1.0.4.jar (No existe el fichero o el directorio)
Artifact not found: osgi.bundle,org.apache.felix.webconsole,4.0.0.
/home/egil/workspace/idempiere/idempiere21/lib/plugins/org.apache.felix.webconsole_4.0.0.jar (No existe el fichero o el directorio)

Regards,

Hiep Lq

Nov 19, 2015, 2:38:44 AM11/19/15
to iDempiere
Hi Gil.
idempiere 2.1 work well with luna sp1. so just do it with luna.

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Nov 19, 2015, 8:09:00 AM11/19/15
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Eduardo, please check #4 of the announcement.

Rinto Exandi Sinaga

Nov 19, 2015, 7:37:38 PM11/19/15
to idem...@googlegroups.com

I've cloned the new idempiere repo and try to materialize using eclipse mars and buckminster 4.5, so far no success.

Is there any required steps to work with this new repo?

Rgds,
Rinto

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Nov 19, 2015, 7:52:04 PM11/19/15
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Please check http://wiki.idempiere.org/en/Install_Development_Prerequisites
Recommended for 3.1 is Luna and Buckminster 4.4

Rinto Exandi

Nov 20, 2015, 12:42:44 AM11/20/15
to iDempiere
Hi Carlos,

I follow the instruction as in the Wiki, after materialization many missing libraries.
I also run the copyjars.xml  as ant application in all plugins, it is downloaded the missing jar files, but somehow some plugins still has missing libraries.

Rgds,
Rinto

Hiep Lq

Nov 20, 2015, 12:52:48 AM11/20/15
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
for new repository, in eclipse you have to select all project and click refresh.
after that you build all project and it will be fine.

Rinto Exandi

Nov 20, 2015, 3:13:41 AM11/20/15
to iDempiere
Thanks it's ok now.

I need to run as Ant-Build for all copyjars.xml in some plugins (maybe on the materializing process not all the jar files downloaded), then refresh the projects and everything is fine.

Rgds,
Rinto

Ibrahim Alsaman

Dec 29, 2015, 7:35:13 AM12/29/15
to iDempiere
ok if we have any problem or limitation in our repository why cant move whole  project to github it's more efficiency
Regards

Hiep Lq

Dec 29, 2015, 7:51:53 AM12/29/15
to Mohemmed Bilal Ilyas
ever don't have limit size of repository provider. I think a small repository has more advanced.
+ easy to people when clone. save time.
+ you save disk in your pc.
git and mercurial  has difference experience.

Alfredo Flores Aybar

Apr 22, 2016, 12:37:48 PM4/22/16
to iDempiere
i materillized the all projects but i get a error on a package and i cant run server.aplication please any help.

Regards.
Alfredo

redhuan d. oon

Apr 22, 2016, 4:53:47 PM4/22/16
to iDempiere
Check your idempiere source folder if there is a targetPlatform folder created with features and plugins folder with contents in them.