Omnisearch plugin

Diego Ruiz

Aug 1, 2019, 11:19:24 AM8/1/19
to iDempiere
Hi community,

I'm glad to announce the beta release of the omnisearch Plugin sponsored by BX Service GmbH and Trek Global.

  • This plugin extends iDempiere with a new way to search in every table from a single place.
  • The omnisearch plug-in allows you to index tables and do an advanced search from the home dashboard.
  • You can navigate easily to the results.
This plugin works only for implementations using PostgreSQL 9.3+

Please check the wiki page explaining the usage and configuration steps.

Or watch the video here:

Any feedback is really appreciated.

The plugin was designed to be extendable in a way that others can easily provide the same services with different index tools (f.e Lucene, Amazon Cloud Search, etc.). If you want to contribute a tool that uses another API provider, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Diego Ruiz

Ricardo Alexsander Santana

Aug 1, 2019, 1:17:12 PM8/1/19
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego,

This is a really nice feature, thanks for sharing.

Do you ever considered integrating this Omnisearch into the global search bar?

BR,
--
Ricardo Alexsander Santana
ralex...@gmail.com

Diego Ruiz

Aug 1, 2019, 1:45:17 PM8/1/19
to iDempiere
Hi Ricardo,

By global search bar do you mean the menu search bar? If that's the case, IMHO that's not the right place for this functionality, plus the core would need to be modified, which is what we try to avoid with the plugin approach.

Regards,
Diego Ruiz
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to idem...@googlegroups.com.

Andres Lopez Andrade

Jun 27, 2020, 2:49:13 PM6/27/20
to iDempiere
Hi Diego

Excellent work, I saw the video and it'll be nice to have this on Oracle, what do you need to extend it to Oracle? I can help you with the SQL

Regads,

Andrés

Diego Ruiz

Jun 29, 2020, 7:06:19 AM6/29/20
to iDempiere
Hi Andres,

Thank you for your feedback.

The omnisearch plugin was designed in a way that you can extend it relatively easy. If you check the repository: https://github.com/bxservice/de.bxservice.omnisearch it is divided in three projects.

The only one you would need to replace is the de.bxservice.omnisearch_tsearch_pg one. You can re-use all the interfaces and abstract classes from de.bxservice.omnisearch to create the indexes and documents necessary in Oracle.

That's why it was designed like that and split into three projects, to allow extensibility.

So, in the new plugin that uses the services from de.bxservice.omnisearch you could replace ->
CREATE INDEX fulltext_index ON TABLE_NAME USING GIN (to_tsvector('english', %%));
for whatever syntax Oracle uses for full text search. The same logic applies to Documents.

Best regards,
Diego Ruiz

Andres Lopez Andrade

Jun 29, 2020, 9:09:17 AM6/29/20
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Great! This weekend I’m going to look the code

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "iDempiere" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/idempiere/1623bd05-d8da-421d-b036-554da08b3a7do%40googlegroups.com.

Nelson T.

Jul 7, 2020, 9:28:46 AM7/7/20
to iDempiere
Hi Diego,

Thanks for the plugin. I'm new using iDempiere and as part of my learning process I've installed Omisearch as one of the first plugins.
I'm running iDempiere server from within Ecplise and was able to install and run Ominsearch without any major issue.
The question I have for you is the following...once I create the index, Omnisearch works correctly and searches for text in the selected column(s). However, if I change the text on a column (saving the record) Omnisearch will not find the new keyword, why? I have to re-create the index.
I'm attaching two screen captures. I only enabled the search on the BP's name.

Best Regards,

Nelson Terrazas
ok.png
nok.png

Carlos Antonio Ruiz Gomez

Jul 7, 2020, 9:53:00 AM7/7/20
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nelson, I think because the list of indexed tables is done in
TSearchIndexEventHandler.initialize

After changing one column to be indexed you would need to restart the
plugin, otherwise it won't take the changes.

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz

El 7/07/20 a las 3:28 p. m., Nelson T. escribió:

Diego Ruiz

Jul 7, 2020, 10:33:05 AM7/7/20
to iDempiere
Hi Nelson,

Thank you for your feedback on the plugin.

The document should be updated automatically when you change the column value and you should be able to search immediately from the dashboard panel, you don't need to restart the plugin or anything. I don't know the process you've followed, so I am limited on what support I can give you.

I've installed the plugin on the https://demo.globalqss.com/webui/ server, which is running iDempiere 7.1 and it works as intented, you can try there to reproduce the issue you're having, it will probably stay installed for a day or two (unless the server crashes and needs to be restarted).

You can see here a video from that server where the value is properly updated and searchable immediately.

Omnisearch.gif

Sometimes, whole words do not match with the search, that is dependant on how Full text search sets the lexemes, you can read more about it here: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/textsearch.html.

Best regards,
Diego Ruiz

Diego Ruiz

Jul 7, 2020, 10:36:47 AM7/7/20
to iDempiere
It looks like the gif wasn't properly uploaded, trying again for reference.
Omnisearch.gif

Nelson T.

Jul 7, 2020, 8:58:47 PM7/7/20
to iDempiere
Thanks Diego. The plugin works flawlessly on the demo server. It is probably something related to my installation.

Best regards,

Nelson Terrazas