Our search for the "right" ERP for us: IDempiere vs. ADempiere?

f109...@trbvm.com

Mar 15, 2015, 9:15:10 PM3/15/15
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

As I wrote in my previous post, we are on the search for the "right" ERP for our company. Looking at ADempiere and IDempiere, we understand that IDempiere is a fork of ADempiere.

Here are some questions about this:
1. Is IDempiere a friendly fork of ADempiere, cooperating with each other? Or is IDempiere a "successor" fork of ADempiere, in terms of a new version that substitutes the old? Or are IDempiere and ADempiere both active and competitors in a non-amicalbe way?
2. What are the main differences between both, besides of the OSGI framework?
3. Are both IDempiere and ADempiere active projects?
4. Is IDempiere already fit for production environments or is it an experimental fork not yet ready for daily usage?

Thank you for any feedback and help!
Anton

redhuan d. oon

Mar 15, 2015, 10:30:05 PM3/15/15
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Answers in between:

On Monday, 16 March 2015 08:15:10 UTC+7, f109...@trbvm.com wrote:
Hi everyone!

As I wrote in my previous post, we are on the search for the "right" ERP for our company. Looking at ADempiere and IDempiere, we understand that IDempiere is a fork of ADempiere.
You have no idea what you are asking, but here goes..

Here are some questions about this:
1. Is IDempiere a friendly fork of ADempiere,
We are always friendly even to owner of Compiere who first called us names, and then to new takeover from ADempiere who called us more names. If you need to know the names you have to ask me privately because they are political rather than technical.
cooperating with each other?
We cooperated with them for example by sending them patches to prevent them from been hacked. They cooperated for example by taking our code. They are still hackable but i stop sending patches because no one likes it when you can hack them.
Or is IDempiere a "successor" fork of ADempiere, in terms of a new version that substitutes the old?
Yes only for those who believe in OSGi framework and meritocratic superiority.
Or are IDempiere and ADempiere both active and competitors in a non-amicalbe way?
According to Ohloh statistics iDempiere is more active. According to Ohloh statistics ADempiere is slowing down. According to weekly meetings iDempiere is consistent, likewise ADempiere has hardly any published technical meetings on even a quarterly basis. But they do have private meetings.
2. What are the main differences between both, besides of the OSGI framework?
We have more improvements that are published openly and publicly. ADempiere team members has more improvements in private repositories.
3. Are both IDempiere and ADempiere active projects?
Repeat question.
4. Is IDempiere already fit for production environments or is it an experimental fork not yet ready for daily usage?
 www.trekglobal.com is an example iDempiere SaaS provider that contributes heavily to the iDempiere codebase, so yes it is production ready.
Thank you for any feedback and help!
You should ask ADempiere side as i am clearly prejudiced. :)
Anton