Plugin update with a delay

Anton Mostovenko

Nov 29, 2022, 9:24:53 AM11/29/22
to iDempiere
Hello,
Our team has a dedicated server with 240 schedulers for data processing. We encountered a strange behaviour. Looks like that working schedulers (or processes in general) block plugin update while they are in progress.
It looks like that:
Scheduler with a 1 minute period works for 2-3 minutes (so it works in a continous loop).
I update plugin with a java classes of this process
Scheduler can do 3-5 loops using older code and only after that it will use a new code!
Nothing is done manually during those loops - no plugin refreshes or something.
Also we noticed that Activators are started only 3-5 loops also.
And not every scheduler works in a same pattern. Even "problematic" plugins can be updated instantly in some cases. So problem looks kinda random.

We have a lot of dependencies in our plugins so I think it can be a reason? Is there any known reasons for such behaviour?

Regards,
palich.ru team.

Alan Lescano

Nov 29, 2022, 11:17:00 AM11/29/22
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I don't know if this applies to your issue, but in order to avoid possible inconsistency between the different versions of the classes involved by the bundle update, the osgi container may temporarily hide the new updated classes from jvm. OSGI can't just start loading classes from the new version because the dependent bundles would end up seeing old versions of the classes they already loaded in memory, mixed with new versions of the same classes that were loaded after the update, which would incorporate an inconsistency that would result in a big mess.