Why sh shell?

johnbendi

Dec 27, 2014, 11:36:25 PM12/27/14
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Is there a particular reason why bash was not used as the shell for idempiere scripts. As I read bash supports all options of sh, so I'm wondering why force developers to deal with issues that arise when you have to leave the more powerful bash for sh to run idempiere scripts?

Note: On my system sh points to dash.

Dominik Zajac

Jan 8, 2015, 10:22:10 AM1/8/15
to idem...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

there are more operating systems than Debian or Linux based systems. Bash is not installed on all machines while sh compatible or sh itself comes with nearly all Unix based systems. As example Solaris and BSD systems don't have bash installed.
To support most systems without having multiple scripts to be maintained sh is the best choice.

Regards,

Dominik