Idealist 3.0 for Win 7, 10, 11

Leopoldo Saggin

May 1, 2023, 5:40:06 AM5/1/23
to Idealist
Dear all,
I created a setup program to deploy a working Idealist 3.0 version into MS Windows 7, 10, 11. I did not tested it on Win 8.x
You can download from:

In order to compare my release with the original one, I created this CHANGELOG file I put in it.

IDEALIST 3.0 for WINDOWS 7,  10, 11
This version of Idealist 3.0 works on Windows 7, 10, 11.
I did not tested on Windows 8.x, but probably works there, too.
What I changed to make it to work was:
1. I substituted the original "Install" program which did NOT work anymore
    because it was a 16 bit app.
2. The original Help file did not work anymore too, due to changes in the Windows
    Help files management. So I used the "Help.chm" instead which is the Idealist.hlp
    file converted into the .chm format.
    I could download it from:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3xeQfJ4BGcgSjVXVy1kdnRDcmM&usp=sharing
    Of course "Help.chm" did NOT work both as the "Help" item of the Idealist Menu
    and inside all the Idealist windows containing an "Help" button.
    It could be accessed ONLY by pressing the "?", ie the Help button, of the Idealist
    bar or as a separate item from Windows Start Menu in the Idealist group.
3. In Windows Start Menu you can also find the "User Guide" (originally provided as
    a paper book) moved to the .pdf format.
4. Inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\Idealist directory I put 2 additional files
    which can be used by click twice on them.
    One is called "admin.reg" and its function is to provide Idealist program to be
    launched as administrator. The other one, ie "no_admin.reg" must be used if
    you want go back to use Idealist as standard user.
    By default Idealist run with standard user permissions.

WARNING
-----------------
Files "admin.reg" and "no_admin.reg" modify the Registry so it is STRONGLY
RECOMMENDED to backup before modifying it!

NO SOFTWARE WARRANTY
User acknowledges and agrees that the use of this Software is at User's sole risk.
The Software and related documentation are provided "AS IS" and without any warranty
of any kind and who (myself, Leopoldo Saggin) re-assembled this version of the
original program EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Moreover this program can be used ONLY for private use.
It cannot be sold, resold or used for any commercial purpose.

Leopoldo Saggin aka Topoldo (leopold...@gmail.com)

John Nurick

May 1, 2023, 6:03:32 AM5/1/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying it.

--

---

Leopoldo Saggin

May 1, 2023, 7:02:12 AM5/1/23
to Idealist
I noticed that .reg files sometimes work, sometimes no.
In this case, if you want to set the possibility to run Idealist as admin forever, you can set this option by right clicking on Idealist shortcut on the desktop.
Sorry for the incovenient.
Leopoldo Saggin aka Topoldo

Moonpub

May 1, 2023, 7:15:40 AM5/1/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I'm on Windows 11 and had to test it also ofcourse: works great, it installed with
no problems. Already had Idealist copied and so on and working with it also
but this install could actually make Idealist come alive again, who knows.

Nice job, Leopoldo :)

Tim Holt-Wilson

May 1, 2023, 9:28:17 AM5/1/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

Dear Leopoldo,

Let me congratulate you for your public-spirited programming !!  Thanks ***

I have been running Idealist successfully on Windows 7  and have not yet been forced to change to Windows 11.  But when that happens I look forward to being able to make use of your patches.

Keep up the good work.  I look forward to hearing about any improvements and user feedback.

Regards,

Tim Holt-Wilson
UK

Lawrence

May 1, 2023, 11:02:35 AM5/1/23
to Idealist
Dear Leopoldo

Many thanks for doing this. It will make installing Idealist on newer versions of Windows so much easier.

Yours
Lawrence Osborn

Brian Leeming

May 1, 2023, 11:21:09 AM5/1/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't put it better myself.  Many thanks, Leopoldo.

Brian

--
Brian Leeming  MA, VMSM
07958 558059

Leopoldo Saggin

May 17, 2023, 3:33:32 AM5/17/23
to Idealist
Hi all again!
I re-packaged  a new versione of Idealist 3.0 including an automatic start of the program ie i32.exe, with admin permissions.
No need to act on permission of the Idealis shortcut.
Is someone interested to download it? If so I'll put on Mediafire in place of the actual version and I'll communicate its URL address.
Cheers,
Leopoldo Saggin aka Topoldo

chrisx...@gmail.com

May 17, 2023, 3:52:19 AM5/17/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

Buongiorno Leopoldo,

Many thanks for helping to keep Idealist alive!

Chris

--

---

Tim Holt-Wilson