Warning

Lawrence

Oct 6, 2022, 10:39:57 AM10/6/22
to Idealist
If any of you are using Idealist with Windows 11, I’m afraid you may have a nasty surprise in store. My laptop just updated to the latest version of Windows 11 and Idealist has stopped working. To be precise, it launches but when I try to load a database it shuts down again.

Fortunately, I have a backup Windows 10 laptop, so I was able to copy my databases across to that and get Idealist up and running there. But it’s not ideal by any means. Does anyone have any thoughts on an alternative database or, even better, suggestions about how I might fix the problem?

Yours
Lawrence

chrisx...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2022, 7:35:58 AM10/7/22
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

Can the problem with Idealist v3 not running on Windows 11 be solved by the ‘compatibility’ settings ie. running the software as though it were on a previous version of Windows?

--

---

Lawrence

Oct 7, 2022, 8:58:02 AM10/7/22
to Idealist
It was already running in compatibility mode. I have checked that Windows hasn’t changed that, and I’ve tried changing the mode (from W98 to W95). No joy, I’m afraid.

Chris Hurrey

Feb 1, 2023, 3:15:05 AM2/1/23
to Idealist
I have just bought a new laptop which was pre-loaded with Windows 11. I copied my Idealist files across from my old laptop and Idealist is running fine. A pleasant surprise.

Tim Holt-Wilson

Feb 1, 2023, 5:44:56 AM2/1/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

That’s great news.  I had no problems on my laptop either.

Lawrence

Feb 1, 2023, 7:40:23 AM2/1/23
to Idealist
Thanks for the update. I did manage to get Idealist working on my Windows 11 machine by reverting to an earlier build of Windows. But just the other day, it quietly installed the latest build (22H2) and Idealist is broken again. The program loads but when I try to look at a database it closes again. So its back to the Windows 10 machine for Idealist'

Meanwhile I have started moving my work to Obsidian. So far, I am very impressed by it.

Chris Hurrey

Feb 1, 2023, 11:53:46 AM2/1/23
to Idealist
I 'updated' to 22H2 this morning and Idealist is still going strong. I will try a few tweaks to see what conflict there is between the application and Win 11 and report.

Andy Bytheway

Feb 2, 2023, 11:21:07 AM2/2/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking at Idealist for a friend who has had these problems, with a view to reconstructing his files as a "conventional" SQL database. That has implications for the fluidity of the Idealist text-based design of course, but it dramatically increases the options for portability and migration.
I am travelling right now, but if anyone wants to join in as an interested person, please message me. I will be getting back into this next month.
Andy

I'm away from my desk right now, back soon.
andy.b...@gmail.com  |  +27 82 889 9771

J Nugent

Feb 2, 2023, 11:21:14 AM2/2/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
My desktop PC recently upgraded to W11 too.

Idealist running without a problem.

BUT... I hadn't installed it on that PC in the firtst place. I simply copied the files from an older PC to the hard drive of the new one and linked to it from a desktop shortcut.

I did the same with a recently-bought laptop runing Windows 11 from new. No problems.

JN

Lawrence

Feb 2, 2023, 11:24:09 AM2/2/23
to Idealist
Glad to hear that Idealist is running OK on Windows 11 for most people. I wonder what it is about my setup that is causing the problem.

J Nugent

Feb 2, 2023, 12:01:23 PM2/2/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried jus copying the entire Idealist directory from a PC where it is known to work, pasting it onto your hard drive and creating a desktop shortcut to idealist.exe?

I might even work off a thumb drive or SDHC card.

JN

J Nugent

Feb 2, 2023, 12:01:28 PM2/2/23
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Quick update: It works 100% from an SDHC card. The shortcut is to I32.exe in my case.

JN

Lawrence

Feb 2, 2023, 12:02:52 PM2/2/23
to Idealist
As I think I explained before, Idealist was working in Windows 11 until the update to Build 22H2.