Idealist help files

Lawrence

Dec 9, 2009, 3:16:17 AM12/9/09
to Idealist
I have just uploaded a set of help files in pdf format to the files
section of the Idealist User Group. Numbers 1 to 3 contain basic
information on the use of Idealist; numbers T01 to T05 are tutorials
covering much the same ground.

Does anyone still have the original manual for Idealist? And, if so,
would you be willing to scan and upload it?

Nicholas Cook

Nov 7, 2014, 5:46:23 PM11/7/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Just found this group having upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit, and discovered my I16.exe doesn't run. I think I have an I32.exe somewhere on a floppy disk, so with Virtual PC it looks like I'm still cooking, but was looking around to see what others were doing.

I used to support Idealist at Leeds University - it was my first software support role when I joined the Computing Service as a fresh-faced graduate in 1991. The program was quite new at the time - certainly no more than 2 years old - and was just a DOS version. I remember negotiating with Peter Nunn (I think - Richard was the programmer) about when the Windows version was going to become available.

Being new to this group, I don't know where the files are that you've uploaded. I'm curious really because I produced a lot of documentation in the early 1990s on Idealist which was freely available from the Leeds University website - I wanted to see if the documents you loaded were originally based on the ones I authored. It would please me mildly if they were.

Incidentally, does anyone have an I32.exe installation file I could download if I can't find my own (or a working floppy disk drive !!). I tried downloading from someone's public dropbox and was told it was malware.

Nick Cook

Nicholas Cook

Nov 7, 2014, 5:47:43 PM11/7/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I don't have a copy of the manual, but I do remember it quite well. It will not help you - it was far too basic. The inbuilt help system was much more detailed, but I wrote my tutorial documents to make it easier for people to understand.

Lawrence

Nov 18, 2014, 2:42:01 PM11/18/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the delay in responding to your message. Welcome to the group.

On Friday, November 7, 2014 10:46:23 PM UTC, Nicholas Cook wrote:
Being new to this group, I don't know where the files are that you've uploaded.

That's a very good question. I suspect the answer is that Google Groups no longer supports directories in which such files can be stored.

I'm curious really because I produced a lot of documentation in the early 1990s on Idealist which was freely available from the Leeds University website - I wanted to see if the documents you loaded were originally based on the ones I authored. It would please me mildly if they were.

In that case, you are doubly welcome to the group. Those were indeed the files that were on this site.

Incidentally, does anyone have an I32.exe installation file I could download if I can't find my own (or a working floppy disk drive !!). I tried downloading from someone's public dropbox and was told it was malware.

The exe file is available in my public Onedrive folder at https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4B5974CAFA04F82C%21113. However, you may have difficulty installing from that into a 64-bit system. If you do have problems, I could let you have a copy of the program folder (which can simply be saved to the Program Files (x86) folder in Windows 7).

Kevin Smith

Apr 17, 2016, 10:25:59 AM4/17/16
to Idealist
If anyone is still using Idealist, I have converted the Help file to the Windows 7 format (Idealist.chm). It is available here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3xeQfJ4BGcgSjVXVy1kdnRDcmM&usp=sharing
along with instructions on how to use it within Idealist.

Lawrence

Apr 17, 2016, 10:28:41 AM4/17/16
to Idealist
On Sunday, 17 April 2016 15:25:59 UTC+1, Kevin Smith wrote:
If anyone is still using Idealist, I have converted the Help file to the Windows 7 format

Very helpful. Thanks.

Lawrence

john....@nurick.net

Apr 18, 2016, 6:08:23 AM4/18/16
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. (I have to admit I’ve almost stopped using Idealist because it won’t run on my Windows Phone. There’s a lot to be said for OneNote, but Idealist is far better at finding things.)

Sent from Surface

--

---

Tim Holt-Wilson

Apr 18, 2016, 6:08:49 AM4/18/16
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

Dear Idealist Group users,

Thanks for this, Kevin. I have just installed it as described, including doing the ‘unblock’, and I have customised a button on the toolbar. However, as soon as I click the button then Idealist just closes down immediately.  I am running Win 7.

When I double-click the Idealist.chm in the Idealist directory the help file opens OK but there’s no information showing in the pane on the right! When I go back to the directory, the file still shows as needing to be unblocked (i.e. it looks as though the ‘unblock’ command doesn’t stick).

Any advice, please?

Kind regards,

Tim Holt-Wilson

Kevin Smith

Apr 18, 2016, 2:32:49 PM4/18/16
to Idealist
Hi Tim,

When you click the Unblock button on WIndows 7, the button and explanatory text next to it grey out. You can then click OK and the right hand pane should now display the contents. Other explanations I have seen for this not working are that the files is saved on a network drive rather than a local one. Try copying the downloaded file to another location and repeating the Unblock process. Also check that the Read-only checkbox isn't ticked.

Kevin

Tim Holt-Wilson

Apr 20, 2016, 11:05:18 AM4/20/16
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com