Idealist V4 installation disc 1

john.d.c...@blueyonder.co.uk

Sep 21, 2021, 4:47:39 AM9/21/21
to Idealist
Hi, I am trying to install Idealist V4 onto Windows 98 running in an Oracle VM VirtualBox machine but can not read the installation disc 1.
I think the disk is corrupted.
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the disc from?
Thanks.
John

Richard Nunn

Sep 21, 2021, 5:48:25 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Not from me (original author) I'm afraid, I gave up all rights to Idealist when I 'left' Blackwell. I don't even have a copy of the manual. If Kevin Smith is still lurking about, he might have one.

--

---

Brian Leeming

Sep 21, 2021, 5:48:30 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, can't help with that.

Regards

On Tue, 21 Sept 2021 at 09:47, 'john.d.c...@blueyonder.co.uk' via Idealist <Ideal...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
--

---

Brian Leeming  MA, VMSM
07958 558059
01487 822815

Lawrence

Sep 21, 2021, 5:56:27 AM9/21/21
to Idealist
V4 was Bekon's first attempt to improve on the version they bought from Blackwell. It was hopelessly buggy and crashed my computer every time I tried to install it (if I remember correctly I was still using Windows for Workgroups, or I may have recently upgraded to Win95). I believe there is a version 5 out there somewhere (perhaps someone on the group has the installation files). Alternatively, V3 (the last Blackwell version) still works reliably (I use it every day on a 64-bit Win10 system -- though I admit I'm dreading the appearance of Win11; every time Windows upgrades it becomes more difficult to keep Idealist running)

Yours
Lawrence

Chris Hurrey

Sep 21, 2021, 6:46:47 AM9/21/21
to Idealist
Idealist is a marvellous application and I have been using it since the mid-1990s, now on Windows 10. If only it could be brought up to date... A number of people have proposed a rewrite but I understand the current IP holder has proved less than helpful. A pity because Idealist v3 has done some very useful work inthe past.

Tim Holt-Wilson

Sep 21, 2021, 7:06:14 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

Dear John,

I am not a computer expert, but would it help if I emailed you a load of files you could just copy straight into a folder in the ‘Program Files’ folder?  My copy of Idealist works if you just double click on the Idealist ‘I-32’ icon, and it then seems to get all it needs to operate from that folder on my 64-bit machine.

Regards,

Tim

TD Holt-Wilson

Tel:  01379-870411

Norfolk, UK

Richard Nunn

Sep 21, 2021, 10:26:42 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I've often thought about rewriting it! browser-based front end, running on Windows, Mac and Linux, Markdown formatting ... lots of ideas, and would probably need a small team of people. Instead I just write little games for fun.

--

---

Brian Leeming

Sep 21, 2021, 10:26:46 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Further to my earlier email, I've found a 3.5 inch disk, dated 1996 with version 3 for Windows 3.1 on it.  It was hiding in an authentic Blackwell Olney Mead box.

Congratulations & thanks to Richard.  You wrote a really great program.  Such a pity that no-one has the energy, skills or time to update it.

Brian W Leeming
07958 558059
01487 822815
From my Samsung Galaxy

Brian Leeming

Sep 21, 2021, 10:26:51 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Sorry.  'Olney should be 'Osney'

07958 558059
01487 822815
From my Samsung Galaxy

Brian Leeming

Sep 21, 2021, 10:37:59 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard

If there isn't an equivalent (and I haven't found one) surely a rewrite would create a marketable product.

Brian

07958 558059
01487 822815
From my Samsung Galaxy

Chris Hurrey

Sep 21, 2021, 10:44:53 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Richard - I'm sure an updated version, as you describe, would be a commercial success, given the right marketing. Chris

Sep 21, 2021, 10:55:16 AM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

I’d second that – Idealist is brilliant.

Sep 21, 2021, 12:30:17 PM9/21/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I myself only need some more text editing format features (wordprocessing) which I am missing for Idealist 3 - also still using it for more than 20 years now ever since 1990s, would be great to see it come alive again

Kevin Smith

Sep 21, 2021, 3:43:28 PM9/21/21
to Idealist
Can't help with a copy of v4 I'm afraid. And the v3 setup program no longer runs on Windows 10, but you can still copy the entire Indealist folder from an older computer onto Windows 10 and it still works. The same technique may work for v4.

There is a copy of the 9th edition of the manual here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16S067zTC1arcNqzbMm-1hTFsBxyXYUTD/view?usp=sharing

cartwright john

Oct 15, 2021, 11:06:38 AM10/15/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Richard.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Idealist" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/IdealistDB/CAGDHXKeERrTLPDfkTbA_p%2B-mBd41oVg5wRbrhs5A7nrvCRQXnQ%40mail.gmail.com.

cartwright john

Oct 15, 2021, 11:09:32 AM10/15/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com, Lawrence
Thanks for that info Lawrence, I think I will stick to V3.

--

---

cartwright john

Oct 15, 2021, 11:11:28 AM10/15/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com, Chris Hurrey
Thanks Chris. I too have been searching for a replacement, but can't find anything close.

--

---

cartwright john

Oct 15, 2021, 11:14:25 AM10/15/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com, Tim Holt-Wilson
Thanks Tim, We are running V3 (albeit with problems) so I thought I would try V4, but from what I have heard it's buggy, so I won't bother.

cartwright john

Oct 15, 2021, 11:16:06 AM10/15/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Richard. I am sure you would get support if you decide to go ahead with that project.

cartwright john

Oct 15, 2021, 11:18:51 AM10/15/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com, Brian Leeming
Thanks Brian, I have a copy of V3 already.

cartwright john

Oct 15, 2021, 11:22:27 AM10/15/21
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Smith
Thanks Kevin. I will stick to V3 & copy the folder.