Android app? Evernote?

John Nurick

Mar 27, 2013, 5:46:21 AM3/27/13
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been using Idealist to keep notes, addresses and other stuff for almost 20 years. Recently put the data files in my Dropbox thus giving transparent access from desktop and laptop: great!

But the next step is getting access from an Android device. So far it looks as the least bad option will be to switch over to Evernote, but I’m sure someone’s been here before.

Q1) Anything better than Evernote for doing what Idealist does but across platforms?

Q2) Any experience/suggestions re moving data from Idealist to Evernote, e.g. converting Idealist record types to the Evernote equivalent (tags??)? (I’m used to munging text files with Perl and the usual textutils).

TIA,

John

Chrisx

Mar 29, 2013, 6:09:42 AM3/29/13
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I'm a nearly-20-years user of Idealist too and run it on Windows 7 and Windows 8 (just about!) and like you I have an Android phone. I use Evernote (occasionally) and thought about putting the Idealist data files into Dropbox. Evernote is pretty good and it's the best alternative to Idealist I have found. What would be really cool is if some clever programmer could take the Idealist source code and produce an Android version - and bring Idealist into the 21st century at the same time.

AS for exporting data to Evernote, I might have a go if I knew more about Evernote. Is it XML?