Multi-user compatibility with Win 7

John Eden-Green

Jun 13, 2014, 9:55:46 AM6/13/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Hi to all.

I have been using Idealist off and on for many years. I think I first started in about 1994. I am now looking at a new application where I want to run a lightweight database application (Idealist certainly ticks that box!) for a small number (<15) users. I possess a 32 bit licence of v3 which will happily rum on WIn XP, but I am having trouble running it on Windows 7 64 bit. The single user version works fine, but I cannot run the multi-user version (inet32.exe). I get a WIndows 'file not compatible' error. I have tried changing the compatibility mode (all the way back to Win 95!) but still get the error.

Does anyone have any ideas which might help?

Thanks and regards

John

Chris Hurrey

Jun 14, 2014, 1:58:51 PM6/14/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

John

I used to run the multi-user version on Windows NT but, as you find, it won’t run on Windows 7 64-bit version. I think Idealist got to the end of the road at 32-bit. It has not been updated since 1999, so not surprising really.

Chris

--

---

Nikos Kavalis

Jun 14, 2014, 2:57:35 PM6/14/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

We started using filemaker and it is brilliant. Cost effective also if you work with one of the hosting companies, as you only need one full licence (to build the database) and can then just pay a modest monthly subscription.

Chris Hurrey

Jun 14, 2014, 5:43:07 PM6/14/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

I have switched to FileMaker Pro 12 and it has almost all of the features of Idealist while being more powerful, more flexible and just as easy to programme.