Installing IdeaList on Windows 8.1

John Richardson

Dec 15, 2014, 6:25:16 AM12/15/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I have beeen using IdeaList 3 since 1995 (and an earlier version before that), most recently on a laptop with Windows Vista.   I am in the process of setting up a PC with Windows 8.1.  Can antyone tell me how to set up IdeaList on my new machine?  I haver the Blackwells installation disk.

John

Lawrence

Dec 16, 2014, 7:46:23 AM12/16/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I think the crucial question is whether the new system is 32- or 64-bit. If it is 32-bit, the original setup program should still work. If it is 64-bit, the setup program won't work (at least, it didn't on my 64-bit Windows 7 system). In the latter case, you could try simply copying the Idealist directory from the Program Files directory of your Vista system to the Program Files (x86) directory of your Windows 8 system. Then manually create a shortcut to the i32.exe program in the Idealist directory (before this will work, you also need to adjust the program compatibility to something suitable -- I generally change it to Windows 98). I should add that I haven't tried this on a Windows 8 system (but it certainly works on 64-bit Windows 7).

Yours
Lawrence

Moonpub

Dec 16, 2014, 8:19:56 AM12/16/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Hi, the copying entire folder works okay on Windows 8 (64 bit) although I do get errors now and then in the layout and record defenitions, I do a backup of the database files say every week just in case an software error spoils a couple of days work or forces me to set up the record/fields again. It's mainly used for sketches, notes and just entertaining myself with it these days, would be great to see this software come alive again, been on my computer ever since halfway the 1990s, mostly by just copying the entire folder, no installations

Johnny

--

---

http://open.spotify.com/user/johnnyhoeve/playlist/6x7TFZPeiy2BUplELo5TY8
---- Moonpub Music on Spotify
Thanks for listening! - Johnny

Leopoldo Saggin

Dec 21, 2014, 6:00:55 AM12/21/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com

I was able to install Idealist even in a Windows 10 64 bit Technical Preview.
The only advice is to copy all the Idealist program folder content inside "Program Files (x 86)", ie the 32bit Program folder.
Then, in the compatibily tab of the i32.exe properties, I set "Windows XP 32 bit SP3 compatibility" and run as "administrator"
This way it runs fine on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit and Windows 10 64 bit TP. I did not tested on Win8.x but I suppose there is no reasons why it should not work.
I think the only problem is with the Idealist setup file (I think it is 16bit). So if one wants to install Idealist under Windows Vista 64+ (s)he can use InnoSetup and re-create a distribution starting from an already installed version of Idealist. Otherwise you can easily make Idealist to run under recent Windows OS simply copying & pasting a working copy of the Idealist program subdirectory from the "Program Files" of Windows XP (or lower) to whatever higher version of Windows (32 or 64 bit).
The only caution is of put it into "Program Files (x86)" and use a suitable compatibility mode.

Regards,
Leopoldo aka Topoldo

John Richardson

Dec 22, 2014, 11:09:00 AM12/22/14
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
I tried that, copying the Idealist folder to the new machine as suggested and changing the compatabiity setting (there was even one for Vista, which is on the machine I am transfrring from). It didn't work, and then I realised that the .exe file I was using was not i32.exe but i16.exe.  This presumably explains the problem.  Is there any way of getting this one to work?  As I say, it functions on my Vista machine.

Jiohn

Osborn Editorial

Jan 13, 2015, 3:00:12 AM1/13/15
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the long delay in responding to this: i16.exe will not work in a 64-bit environment. So the only way to run Idealist in 64-bit Windows 8 is to use i32.exe. This should be present in the Idealist program directory. If not, let me know and I'll post a copy to my public Onedrive folder.

Lawrence

--

---

Dr Lawrence Osborn
Osborn Editorial Services
Flat 35, 250 Camphill Avenue
Glasgow G41 3AS

0141 636 1614
edi...@lhosborn.co.uk
http://osbloggery.blogspot.com/

BITINIA

Apr 30, 2015, 12:21:03 PM4/30/15
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lawrence

1.-
thanks a lot for all your posts ...

2.-
I'm an old registered user of Idealist ...
a marcellous masterpiece of software

3.-
I reinstalled Idealist3
on my Win7

4.-
do you know a repository of Idealist samples ?

5.-
have you found Idealist5 ?
the link in the Idealist's group is dead ...

I'm very curious about the new (?) release

have a nice afternoon

Maurizio

Leopoldo Saggin

May 11, 2015, 12:51:51 PM5/11/15
to Ideal...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno domenica 21 dicembre 2014 12:00:55 UTC+1, Leopoldo Saggin ha scritto:

I think the only problem is with the Idealist setup file (I think it is 16bit). So if one wants to install Idealist under Windows Vista 64+ (s)he can use InnoSetup and re-create a distribution starting from an already installed version of Idealist. Otherwise you can easily make Idealist to run under recent Windows OS simply copying & pasting a working copy of the Idealist program subdirectory from the "Program Files" of Windows XP (or lower) to whatever higher version of Windows (32 or 64 bit).
The only caution is of put it into "Program Files (x86)" and use a suitable compatibility mode.

I'm preparing a new setup for my Idealist v3.
At URL:
http://osbloggery.blogspot.it/2007/12/after-idealist.html?showComment=1274688859532#c7370178801605408157
Idealist is  reported to be an "abandonware".
So I don't think I'm infringing any copyright, if I create a "new distribution" for myself using InnoSetup which includes, beside to all the Idealist program files, the pdf of the user manual and the .wri files of the 32bit distribution converted to pdf
Then, if someone wants, I can upload somewhere (for example here) the .iss file so anyone who owns a copy of Idealist v3 (nov 95) can download InnoSetup and create his/her Idealist setup package to install on Win7, 8.x, 10..
For what the administrative rights problem is concerned, and with reference to what I reported before, I found that i32.exe (v.3) does NOT require any administrator permission for running on Win7. In fact Idealist.ini which was created in C:\Windows until WinXP operating system, automatically moves to:
C:\Users\<username>\ApData\Local\VirtualStore\idealist.ini
in Windows 7 and higher.

Regards,
Leopoldo Saggin aka Topoldo