GEOS driver

Count Zero

Mar 25, 2015, 8:56:37 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
I am aware of the ciaide driver that allows an entire drive to be used
for GEOS. However, I'd much prefer to be able to simply use a partition
on my drive rather than the whole drive.

Has anyone done any work on an alternative driver for IDE64 and GEOS
that would allow designating a GEOS partition?

Thank you,

-Count Zero-

Petter Lindquist

Mar 25, 2015, 9:08:45 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
I was once working on a driver that used a file on ide64 or pclink as a 16 meg hard drive in geos.
Also working as a REU against a file...
However I never finished it, the geos reverse engineered geos code is rather strange. The driver seemed to work for a while, then it suddenly just bombed out.

jo...@post.cz

Mar 25, 2015, 9:16:25 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
Petter, you have also succeeded creating a driver that boots the geos from .d64 file on IDE64.
http://news.ide64.org/2010/07/geos-booted-from-geosd64-on-ide64.html
It would be nice to adapt it to .d81...
Josef

Mar 25, 2015, 9:50:53 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
It's more or less the same driver, just different file sizes.
It seems to work at first, but then all of a sudden it's flaky as hell.
Unfortunately I have some broken hardware right now, especially the usb port, so I can't really look into it again before that is fixed.

Count Zero

Mar 25, 2015, 9:57:54 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of making the source available?

Thank you,

-Count Zero-

Petter Lindquist

Mar 25, 2015, 10:03:03 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
Sure, if I can find it.
And I just found out I'm lying, it's two totally different driver approaches.
The simple mostly working one I did for geolink should be easy to adopt to different image file sizes I think. But I have no idea if it really works together with a real floppy drive connected.

Maciej Witkowiak

Mar 25, 2015, 10:08:35 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hello

If you already have driver code, then my strategy would be to just use
parts of CIAIDE hddtool and replace the driver.

I have moved all this stuff to github in hope it would be useful.

https://github.com/ytmytm/c64-ciaide

Two most important parts are for patching the Kernal to use IDE64
external ram for disk driver buffer:
SetDevice patch:
https://github.com/ytmytm/c64-ciaide/blob/master/geos/setdevice64.tas
Driver swapper:
https://github.com/ytmytm/c64-ciaide/blob/master/geos/swapdrvide64.tas

The disk driver space is preserved during runtime, so you can keep
there supporting data, like current disk image name.

Here is a generic RAM driver installer that might be useful too.
https://github.com/ytmytm/c64-geos-ramdrives

ytm

jo...@post.cz

Mar 25, 2015, 10:49:42 AM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com

Gentlemen,

isn't anybody willing to finish the work?

The true is that there are not many people here, with the deep knowledge of the Geos kernal..

I can support the development with the donation of the IDE64 hardware.

 Josef

Mar 25, 2015, 12:38:25 PM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
Maciej: it was your ciaide that got me started to work on my own software level driver, which wasn't possible until idedos 0.91 with seekable files and block read/write.
My knowledge about geos comes mostly from reading your code.

Josef: if I had the money I would by a new ide64 with on-board usb, clock port and cf-slot. My old one has neither of those on-board. The cf-slot I can live with, but having to alternate between flaky ethernet or totally broken usb on the short-bus isn't really encouraging to my programming.

Count Zero

Mar 25, 2015, 1:33:01 PM3/25/15
to id...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm stuck with a 2.5+ IDE64 till the 4.1 boards become available again.

I've got an IDE <-> CF adapter I am using, and I built a userport <-> parallel cable that I have hooked up to an older PC running Linux and ideservd for file transfer to the PC.  It works, but I'd much rather get rid of that and use a 4.1 with USB :)

-Count Zero-

LHS

Jun 13, 2016, 12:54:08 PM6/13/16
to IDE64
Hi guys, sorry for this old topic, but is there anybody who uses the ciaide Geos patch? I tried with no success. My config:

- IDE64 4.1 with idedos 090 and 091. In secondary channel connected LS120 as alone master as device no.12.

- Patch downloaded from github.com/ytmytm and from http://singularcrew.hu/ide64warez

- Geos plain boot disk from this page
http://lyonlabs.org/commodore/onrequest/geos.html

The idea was create a 3,5 Geos diskette, but in all variants the same result. Geos boots from real 1541 no.8. fine, then I run "hddtool" from another 1541 diskette. Often (80%) the Geos freezes in empty gray screen. Sometimes returns back (from gray screen) to desktop, then in menu I can find button "hddswitch", but Geos crashes when selecting. If I put the patch files direct on Geos boot disk, the Geos freezes everytime (during boot).

Could you give me some hints?

LHS

Tomas Vondracek

Jun 14, 2016, 7:29:40 AM6/14/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
---
Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

Martin Ancher Holm

Jun 14, 2016, 7:37:36 AM6/14/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi :)

IIRC the patch does not work for the GEOS downloads on Internet, but
only for the original GEOS boot disk.

I might be wrong.

/Martin

id...@googlegroups.com skrev den 2016-06-14 11:51:
> From: LHS <l...@centrum.cz>
> Date: Jun 13 09:54AM -0700
>
> Hi guys, sorry for this old topic, but is there anybody who uses the
> ciaide
> Geos patch? I tried with no success. My config:
>
> - IDE64 4.1 with idedos 090 and 091. In secondary channel connected
> LS120
> as alone master as device no.12.
>
> - Patch downloaded from github.com/ytmytm

jo...@post.cz

Jun 14, 2016, 11:53:26 AM6/14/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
I think the CIAIDE driver from YTM is low level driver created for IDE64 V3.x
IDE64 4.x has improved data  register access (omited low data register latch) so the CIAIDE driver need to be updated to work correctly. Are there the source codes available?
Josef

Jun 21, 2016, 2:27:47 AM6/21/16
to id...@googlegroups.com

The src codes are at this link:

https://github.com/ytmytm/c64-ciaide/tree/master/geos

I have one IDE64 V3.1, I will try also this cartridge.

arcadestation

Nov 13, 2016, 7:36:00 AM11/13/16
to IDE64
Hi gentelmens,
Works the geos bootloader only with d64 files? I think its good when booting geos from a d81 file. Have everywhere experience to this bootloader?

Best regards

Petter Lindquist

Nov 13, 2016, 7:38:32 AM11/13/16
to id...@googlegroups.com

It was only meant as a testing step towards using a 16 meg "hard file", but somewhere I got stuck and I can't even remember what I was doing back then. So for now it only works with a d64, hard coded filename.

arcadestation

Nov 13, 2016, 8:33:41 AM11/13/16
to IDE64
Ok. Is a solution in development in future or not? I think geos on a ide64 are great for many users ☺

Josef

Jun 25, 2018, 3:38:41 PM6/25/18
to IDE64
Hi, there is a GEOS driver article on the news.ide64.org
Petter's solution is mentioned, but the most information is about the Maciej's disk driver.
Which was ported to IDE64 V4.x and the Wiki with some useful information was created.
(I recommend to read Known issues, to safe your time.)
Also ready to use .d64 and .d81 boot disks were published.
I was unable make drive swapper (Hddswitch) work, so if you succeed, please let us know.
Josef