Problem with NOS games on IDE64

Thomas Karlsen

Dec 2, 2016, 6:34:17 PM12/2/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I’m trying to play Commando Arcade SE and Ghosts’n’Goblins Arcade on the IDE64. I’ve downloaded the archives from the IDE64 ware site and copied them into the CF-card.

But the game stops at the NOS loader screen with a msgs that starts with 73,

I have the latest IDEDOS 0.91 from April 2016 installed.

Have anyone of you guys managed to start these games? What IDEDOS version do you run?

/thomas

Thomas Karlsen

Dec 3, 2016, 5:03:41 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

I downgraded my IDE64 to version 0.90 build 53 (the latest on ide64.org) and now it works to load Commando Arcade SE with their universal NOS-loader.

So what’s the difference between IDEDOS 0.90 and 0.91 regarding this?

/Thomas

Janne Granberg

Dec 3, 2016, 5:10:54 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't be a problem, our releases are tested with V0.91. Please link me to the download you are trying.
Meanwhile, try this http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173 , use the FLOAD-version not the IFFL. If the main executable is/has been renamed, it won't work.

On 3 December 2016 at 12:02, Thomas Karlsen <sle...@algonet.se> wrote:
Hello again,

I downgraded my IDE64 to version 0.90 build 53 (the latest on ide64.org) and now it works to load Commando Arcade SE with their universal NOS-loader.

So what’s the difference between IDEDOS 0.90 and 0.91 regarding this?

/Thomas

> 3 dec. 2016 kl. 00:34 skrev Thomas Karlsen <sle...@algonet.se>:
>
> Hi again,
>
> I’m trying to play Commando Arcade SE and Ghosts’n’Goblins Arcade on the IDE64. I’ve downloaded the archives from the IDE64 ware site and copied them into the CF-card.
>
> But the game stops at the NOS loader screen with a msgs that starts with 73,
>
> I have the latest IDEDOS 0.91 from April 2016 installed.
>
> Have anyone of you guys managed to start these games? What IDEDOS version do you run?
>
> /thomas

Tuomas Rantala

Dec 3, 2016, 5:11:01 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Both games work nicely here with v0.91 beta 980.

Tuomas

Janne Granberg

Dec 3, 2016, 5:19:12 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
What's the build number of Apr/2016, not 980? It's not stated here http://singularcrew.hu/idedos/beta/compile.php (would be useful if that piece of information would be added there by the maintainers, so please add it :)

Thomas Karlsen

Dec 3, 2016, 5:20:32 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First I downloaded the version from CSDB (http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173) and I extracted the files from the D64 to the IDE-partition via MAN. I had to rename the XX.ca files to XX.ca,prg first to get it to start at all. But it ”hangs” on the status msgs "73, idedos 0.91, 0000.000…"

Then I downloaded it from Commando Arcade SE (ide64 warez site). And it behaved the same.

Both version works on my downgraded IDE64.

Tuomas Rantala

Dec 3, 2016, 5:24:44 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Flags: FT245 Jiffy
Built: 2016-04-17 21.34.54
> > email to ide64+un...@googlegroups.com.

Janne Granberg

Dec 3, 2016, 5:34:55 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
I mean, what does it say in the startup screen, like
64K RAM SYSTEM  IDEDOS V0.91 BETA xxx
?

> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/ide64.

Tuomas Rantala

Dec 3, 2016, 5:38:48 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Here it doesn't seem to care if the files are named xx.ca or xx.ca,prg
If they're named xx,ca then it won't work.
Also renaming the main exe doesn't seem to matter.

Extracting straight from the archive with the gunzip.c64 plugin gives a
working game.

Janne: It's v0.91 beta 980 :)

Tuomas

On Saturday 03 December 2016 11:20:30 Thomas Karlsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First I downloaded the version from CSDB (http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173
> <http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173>) and I extracted the files from the D64
> to the IDE-partition via MAN. I had to rename the XX.ca <http://xx.ca/>
> files to XX.ca <http://xx.ca/>,prg first to get it to start at all. But it
> ”hangs” on the status msgs "73, idedos 0.91, 0000.000…"
>
> Then I downloaded it from Commando Arcade SE
> <http://singularcrew.hu/ide64warez/site/Games/Commando_Arcade.zip> (ide64
> warez site). And it behaved the same.
>
> Both version works on my downgraded IDE64.
>
> > 3 dec. 2016 kl. 11:10 skrev Janne Granberg <janne.g...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Shouldn't be a problem, our releases are tested with V0.91. Please link me
> > to the download you are trying. Meanwhile, try this
> > http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173 <http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173> ,
> > use the FLOAD-version not the IFFL. If the main executable is/has been
> > renamed, it won't work.
> >

> > On 3 December 2016 at 12:02, Thomas Karlsen <sle...@algonet.se
> > <mailto:sle...@algonet.se>> wrote: Hello again,
> >
> > I downgraded my IDE64 to version 0.90 build 53 (the latest on ide64.org
> > <http://ide64.org/>) and now it works to load Commando Arcade SE with

Kajtár Zsolt

Dec 3, 2016, 5:57:34 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
> First I downloaded the version from CSDB (http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173
> <http://csdb.dk/release/?id=137173>) and I extracted the files from the D64
> to the IDE-partition via MAN. I had to rename the XX.ca <http://xx.ca/>
> files to XX.ca <http://xx.ca/>,prg first to get it to start at all. But it
> ”hangs” on the status msgs "73, idedos 0.91, 0000.000…"
>
> Then I downloaded it from Commando Arcade SE
> <http://singularcrew.hu/ide64warez/site/Games/Commando_Arcade.zip> (ide64
> warez site). And it behaved the same.

I've corrected the file names in the archive so that ideservd will not try to
split it on the dot. It works here for either IDEDOS versions.

--
-soci-

signature.asc

Thomas Karlsen

Dec 3, 2016, 8:27:12 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I’ve got it to work with 0.91 980 now, but on a different ide64 card. I have 2 ide64 v4.1 cartridges. The first one that can’t load Commando Arcade nor Ghost’n Goblins Arcade with 0.91 980 is older than the one that can load the games. The older one can load with 0.90 52 though, but not with the latest 0.91 980. The new one can load with both versions.

My first card behaves different when perom a firmware too, as it loads and writes block by block while the newer one loads a chunk of blocks from the disk drive and then write a chunk of blocks to the ide64 rom.

Perhaps there are some difference between the cards even though it’s a v4.1 version?

Thomas

Thomas Karlsen

Dec 3, 2016, 9:02:44 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
Ok guys. Something told me to remove the battery from it’s holder and reseat it (it used to be problem when jumping between 0.8x and 0.9x if I remember correct). So I did that. And now it works with both versions. Bah! I should have tested this before bothering you guys too much.

But thanks everyone for being helpful!

Now it’s time to play Commando :)

/Thomas

Kajtár Zsolt

Dec 3, 2016, 10:34:07 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
> My first card behaves different when perom a firmware too, as it loads and
> writes block by block while the newer one loads a chunk of blocks from the
> disk drive and then write a chunk of blocks to the ide64 rom.
>
> Perhaps there are some difference between the cards even though it’s a v4.1
> version?

The hardware interface is the same across all v4.1 cards. However the flash
memory may vary depending on part availability at the time of manufacture. But
this is only a concern for the perom programmer ;)

--
-soci-

signature.asc

Kajtár Zsolt

Dec 3, 2016, 10:38:03 AM12/3/16
to id...@googlegroups.com
> Ok guys. Something told me to remove the battery from it’s holder and
> reseat it (it used to be problem when jumping between 0.8x and 0.9x if I
> remember correct). So I did that. And now it works with both versions. Bah!
> I should have tested this before bothering you guys too much.

This rang some bells and I did some testing. It turns out that if you enable
"CMD emulation" in the setup then N0SD0S gets confused enough that it tries to
access the IDE64 drive over the serial bus, which does not end well. I think
this was the problem.

Btw. there's no need to remove the battery, you can just use "Restore
defaults" in the setup.

--
-soci-

signature.asc