[WG-IDAssurance] Follow-up to brief discussion today on NCCOE data classification project draft

Martin Smith

May 20, 2021, 5:34:10 PM5/20/21
to IA WG

IAWG colleagues --

Background: "NCCoE has released a new draft project description, Data Classification Practices: Facilitating Data-Centric Security. We want your feedback on this draft to help refine the project. The comment period is now open and will close on June 21, 2021."

On 5/20 I mentioned this to the Kantara IAWG indicating I would be making personal comments but would welcome joining with other interested IAWG participants.

Initial points--
  • Great to see this! Understudied issue important to ZTA and other purposes.
  • Surprised to see no references to "ABAC/PBAC" work , particularly OASIS/XACML TC, or the JERICHO Group's "Manifesto" which focused on fine-grained access control as core element of "de-perimeterization."
  • Agree that policy rules for treatment of data is related to data classification:  policy rules determine the content of data classification tags/labels/attributes.
  • But the architecture of data classification is mostly independent of policy rules, so suggest that the project scope be limited to how classifications can be applied, used and maintained, leaving aside data-handling policy schema and semantics.
  • (A separate project on development of digital information access policy would be very worth-while: this is another area where organizations have struggled to make progress.)
  • Agree that data metadata (including data classification information) is used for multiple purposes, but suggest that given the main driver of the project seems to be enabling zero-trust via policy-driven fine-grained access control, suggest that the other uses of data metadata (e.g. for archiving/backup management) be noted but not further pursued in this project.
  • There is an existing and widely accepted framework for the architecture of policy-based fine-grained access control, based on evaluation (by a "policy decision point") of attributes about the information requestor (the Subject/User), the requested information resource (data classification attributes) and the context of the request (environmental attributes.)
  • The present project can make a big contribution to implementing this model (and thus enabling implementation of zero-trust principles) by showing how "resources attributes" can be efficiently tagged/labeled, bound to the variety of information "containers" (various types of files, emails, structured and unstructured databases), located and used (by the PDP), and maintained over time.
--
Martin Smith 703 389-3224

Martin Smith

May 21, 2021, 10:07:58 AM5/21/21
to mhae...@freeuk.com, IA WG

Mark --

Thanks for the comments.

I am actually very interested in how to express digital policies: not so much the technology, but the risk strategy and other challenges. But for this NCCOE project I am just hoping they don't keep policy-making in-scope.

I think when NCCOE says "classification" they are not at all limiting themselves to traditional government national-security labels, but any parameter that might appear in an access policy (or archiving policy or other data-management policy.)

I absolutely agree that consistent interpretation is very important in both making policies and the semantics of the parameters (the "classification" metadata.) And it's very weak in the non-automated world in which we currently operate, so formalizing the process is potentially a major win for both effectiveness and interoperability, not to mention efficiency.

I think (but not 100% sure) that I understand your "risk budget" comment. But maybe this is what you have in mind:  when formulating an access-control strategy for personal information, it may be OK to rely on effective (and well-publicized) ex-post enforcement via analysis of access logs, since (per my own aphorism) "there are no suicide privacy violators." And again:  for hard cases like "probable cause" (to justify law-enforcement access to private digital records), it may be sufficient to require the requestor to select from a list of things that are typically accepted as indicating probability of a criminal act (which would become a requestor-asserted access attribute), and then have an effective ex-post review of those claims.

But I am hoping NCCOE will look at these how-to-make-digital-policy issues separately, since there are plenty of other challenges in managing data "classification" metadata.

Martin

On 5/21/2021 8:09 AM, mhae...@freeuk.com wrote:

Martin.

 a few points...

Automation requires consistent interpretation of policy. One area relevant to US export control and collaboration on classified matters is the inconsistent interpretation of NOFORN in relation to dual nationals.

Classification has historically been based purely on confidentiality, but integrity is an important part of security, and the policies for integrity are the dual of confidentiality: not where it can go to but where it comes from. High to low is fine for integrity, not for confidentiality.

The name ‘classified’ has always been problematic: does it include ‘unclassified’ and or things which would justify having a label but do not have one attached or associated? It’s often assumed to be obvious what is talked about, but, again, there is no consistency. Can we find something close to the latin ‘custodienda’: thing worthy of being protected.

There were some ideas of a risk budget - any nurse can see one patient in specific hospital in any minute; firetruck can see one picture from satellite high resolution database, and then check later if it was an appropriate picture. Will this be included?

Happy to discuss further.

Mark