[WG-IDAssurance] Consideration of 'comparable alternatives'

Richard G. WILSHER (@Zygma)

Jun 23, 2021, 2:29:07 AM6/23/21
to IA WG

A Federal agency has raised a question regarding how Kantara might handle ‘comparative alternatives’ in a 63A assessment, with specific reference being given to SP 800-63 rev.3  §5.4.  This is my response to that question and a proposal as to how this could be addressed by Kantara.  I submit this as an item for the IAWG’s consideration at this week’s meeting.

In response to the question, the first observation is that Kantara has no explicit criteria addressing normative statements in the SP 800-63 rev3 base document, only from 800-63A/B/C (rev.3).  Most of these criteria are not so much directed at the implementation of proofing (63A), authenticating/managing (63B) or federating (63C) criteria per se as guiding (albeit in normative terms) Federal agencies as to how to perform their risk assessment within the overall scope of their implementation of the NIST RMF and then how to select appropriate ALs.  The application of such guidelines/requirements to Federal agencies is therefore beyond the scope of Kantara’s remit, so I’m not sure that Kantara would/could/should have anything to state formally on the matter in the specific context of agencies.

However, what if an agency sought to have such changes as are addressed in -63 rev.3 §5.4 para. 3. to be implemented by a CSP which was assessed against Kantara’s criteria in 63A_SAC/63B_SAC (and potentially, 63C_SAC).  None of -63x refer to ‘compensating controls’ but all three have requirements that the CSP employs “appropriately-tailored security controls, to include control enhancements, from […] controls defined in SP 800-53 or equivalent federal (e.g., FedRAMP) or industry standards”.  Conveniently 800-53 defines ’compensating controls’ as “controls employed in lieu of the controls in […] 800-53 that provide equivalent or comparable protection for a system or organization”.

My IS27001 experience would lead me to expect an organization to perform a risk assessment, to describe the thresholds for acceptable risk, and to provide a defined and repeatable approach to quantify the perceived risks and then decide on a course of mitigation, those mitigations then to be approved and accepted by the organization’s ‘top management’ (to use IS27001 parlance).  I.e. demonstrate quantatively how the compensating control(s) is(are) equivalent or comparable.  An auditor should not be deciding whether an organization’s risk assessment and management approach is right or wrong, only that it leads to reasonable judgements about risk which management knowingly accepts.  ‘Reasonable’ I think is not so easily defined, but is fairly obvious when it doesn’t exist – my pathetic example is ‘risk management by dice’, which would clearly be a random process rather than a judgmental one which would have repeatable or meaningful outcomes – except an average value over time, for all risks!

My approach to assessing such an instance would be that, if a CSP had an approach which was intended to compensate for a specific requirement of 800-63 I would ask them to define the nature of the risk which they believed NIST’s editors were trying to mitigate through the provision of the specific requirement and then to provide a risk analysis of their alternative approach to demonstrate that the risk assessment of their solution yielded, at least, the same level of residual risk as the original required control(s).

Frankly, if the argument appears to be rational and management accept it, then there is little the assessor can do but say OK.  Again, it is not the auditor’s job to argue whether a risk likelihood is 70% not 75%, but only when it is being gauged as 40% when the 75% is an obviously more realistic value which perhaps can be justifiably expected (e.g. through empirical evidence).

From Kantara’s view, it at present does not have much visibility of any such assessment which might be made, but in future the auditor should be obligated to report on the existence of a compensating control and how they assessed and accepted it (or not, if that be the case).

I suggest that the best way for Kantara to address this is to introduce a new criterion which states:

If a CSP implements alternative controls for any specific proofing requirements for the applicable xAL, the CSP SHALL ensure that:

a)      a quantitative analysis of the risk(s) addressed by the NIST-specified control and the degree of residual risk its implementation would achieve is determined and documented;

b)      a justification of how the compensating measures deployed achieve equivalent or comparable mitigation of the same risks is determined and documented;

c)      a justification of how different risks that may be introduced through the use of the alternative controls have been taken into account such that the same, or lower, residual risk can be achieved is determined and documented;

d)      that the responsible management are aware of and accepting of that analysis and the implementation of the selected controls;

e)      that the selected counter-measures are deployed;

f)       how to configure the service to provide a risk mitigation level commensurate with the consumer’s own risk mitigation needs is documented and provided to users who wish to rely upon the service at the claimed xAL.

It is my consideration that such a criterion would apply to both IAL2 and IAL3, for CSP and Fed Agencies, and possibly the final text should include a phrase such as ‘commensurate with the applicable xAL’, but that’s fine-tuning.
Your thoughts are invited.

Richard G. WILSHER
Founder & CEO,  Zygma Inc.
               https://kantarainitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/brizy/11604/assets/images/iW=341&iH=341&oX=0&oY=43&cW=341&cH=255/Kantara-Award-Badge-02.png
Operating independently since 1993

M: +1 714 797 99 42
E:
  R...@Zygma.biz
W:  www.Zygma.biz

image007.jpg
image008.png
image009.jpg

Richard G. WILSHER (@Zygma)

Jun 28, 2021, 1:01:10 AM6/28/21
to Nathan Faut, IA WG

Valued input Nathan, as ever.  Completely in accord, and I for one am not blasé in my auditing, but my clients seem to have me back, which is encouraging.

As we develop the Kantara Certification Board I believe that such measures as you propose, i.e. the auditors themselves being held a little more accountable, will be meaningful.

Richard G. WILSHER
Founder & CEO,  Zygma Inc.
               https://kantarainitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/brizy/11604/assets/images/iW=341&iH=341&oX=0&oY=43&cW=341&cH=255/Kantara-Award-Badge-02.png
Operating independently since 1993

M: +1 714 797 99 42
E:
  R...@Zygma.biz
Jun 29, 2021, 1:58:14 PM6/29/21
to Richard G. WILSHER (@Zygma), Nathan Faut, IA WG

Speaking for un-blasé assessors; I would suggest that the ARB should be more than careful, they should be significantly involved.

We have criteria, and we are well positioned to say something does or doesn’t meet that criteria – but if an assessee says we don’t meet the criteria, but we have something just as good; them I’m going to want more than just one assessor giving the OK.  If an assessee can convince an assessor that their compensating controls actually compensate, I would still achieve the “visibility” Richard is asking for by reporting on the existence of a compensating control all over the S3A and the assessor’s report.  I’m not about to accept a compensating control without making it VERY clear to the ARB that one is in place.  Perhaps you see a future where the auditor is obligated to report on the existence of a compensating control, but that is how I’m living it now.

Federal Agencies are used to compensating controls as part of the SP 800-37 /800-53 process.  and when 63-3 says, "Agencies MAY determine alternatives to the NIST-recommended guidance, for the assessed, based on their mission, risk tolerance, existing business processes ... that is very much NIST 800-37 language.  In these, a system owner or perhaps CIO accepts the risk.  Here I believe the risk is to the Kantara brand.  The value of the Kantara brand is saying that we know specific criteria have been met.  In instances where that is not precisely the case I think we need a lot of transparency before Kantara accepts that risk.

I think Richards proposed new criterion is in tweaking range and agree with the idea that assessors are not going to deliver fine grained quantitative risk numbers; but my emphasis would be on the transparency and visibility aspects of compensating controls.    I wonder if the CSP should also provide a justification of why the original criteria cannot be implemented.  I’m sure the answer will most likely be, “because this is how we built it before we even thought of Kantara, and we don’t want to spend money;” but still, this is the criteria they signed up for and we need to strike a balance regarding what our brand means and when people can go astray.

My apologies if I seem to rant, spent the morning in a fun little “waiver/risk acceptance” debate.  Also my apologies; as I am doubtful for tomorrow.

Jimmy

Jimmy Jung

www.Slandala.com

703 851 6813