Update from our Ithaca Dance Leaders

sara.culotta

Sep 4, 2023, 6:07:43 PM9/4/23
to Ithaca Dances of Universal Peace
Hello friends and beloveds of the Ithaca Dances,

As you may have noticed, in the last year there's been change in how and when Dances of Universal Peace are led in Ithaca. Some of you have expressed questions and concerns about the change from a unified leadership team to the new alternating schedule of locations and leaders.

Our four current leaders - Diane, Azad, Rukmini, Cheri - and I - want to let you know that we have been engaged and supported in an ongoing process to learn and evolve. Our shared commitment is that the Dances will continue to be a sacred practice for ourselves and all of you. We recently came together for a restorative circle meeting and would like to share a summary (below.) We intend and hope that in reading this you will feel included, honored and inspired to continue or return to dance together!

If you feel moved to reflect and/or respond, this google group is not designed for all-way communication and you will need to reach out to any or all of us. Our contact info is at the very end.

Hope to sing and dance with you soon!
Love, Sara

Share Out from the DUP Ithaca Dance Leaders Restorative Circle

Held Sunday August 20, 2023, 3PM- 5PM

DUP Dance Leaders: Azad Volckhausen, Cheri Botts, Shaffia Diane Olden, Rukmini Miller

Facilitation: Corirose Benitez Anjali and Karl Paulnak with Sara Culotta supporting.

 Intentions

The purpose of this circle was to have each of the 4 dance leaders share where they are at now with the events of the past several years, to clarify what each of them needs going forward and to consent on agreements for how they will function in relationship to each other as DUP dance leaders in the Ithaca community.

Framework

The format allowed for each of the 4 dance leaders to have a turn to speak to the impact of the events of the past several years, and to be known for what is present and matters to them now.  After each person shared, there was a round of reflection from all the other participants. Reflecting back was optional for each person.  The invitation was to offer reflection, restating in your own words what you heard the person say, to support the speaker to be heard.

Experience

The sharing and reflections by the participants were courageous and contained deep emotional honesty and risk-taking. We experienced deep, attentive presence from all, heartfelt reflections, and affirming acknowledgments.

For some, there were sharply negative feelings, some have congealed and some have softened over time. What remains for some is a more general sense of loss of trust. To some extent, in some areas, there was a degree of apology extended and appreciated. In other areas, the work of healing remains and requires more time.

From the facilitators/circle keepers Corirose and Karl:

We experienced everyone's engagement in the circle process as very real, vulnerable, respectful, and caring of self and others.  We were moved by all participants' willingness to listen to each speaker as holy work and offer authentic reflections the way one tends to a glowing ember of a fire, encouraging it to grow.

In closing, we offer to support a reunion of this circle in 6 months.  We encourage all involved to allow this tender, glowing ember of hearing each other’s reality and clear agreements, to have the space and respect it needs for the healing process to continue.

Agreements Going Forward

  • There is mutual agreement to continue the current schedule of alternating monthly DUP, led by Azad one month at Foundation of Light and the next month by Cheri, Diane, and Rukmini at the Unitarian Church.

  • There will not be co-leading Dances for Cheri, Diane, and Rukmini with Azad.

  • The dance leaders will attend each other’s dances only when there is an invitation and agreement between the person(s) leading the dance and the person(s) invited to attend.

  • The leader will make no public invitations or statements of intention to connect with the others (in DUP or other dance events) without first checking with the other dance leaders. This is to honor both the other dance leaders' need for inclusive, clear request making and to care for the dance community by having only clear, agreed upon communication.

  • There is agreement to have a follow-up in-person meeting within 6 months to check in with each other about the process and the agreements between them. The same facilitation/support people are available for this.

  •  Agreement to rely on email only to communicate logistical information between the 4 of them (for example - to use email to determine possible meeting times.) Communication about the process or to address agreements will be live communication -- via Zoom or in person.

Contact info