Code bases are diverging

Jason Felice

Mar 2, 2011, 11:36:46 AM3/2/11
to ic...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've noticed that robholland isn't merging a whole bunch (four open pull requests without comments), and we have at least two heavy committers in the github network graph.  I have some bugfixes, though I'm pretty sure they aren't "correct", so discussion on how to fix them to get them merged would be useful.

Is there something we can do to resolve this?

I'd step up as a maintainer if nobody who knows the code better can do it.  I can at least respond to pull requests within a day or two.

Rob Holland

Mar 2, 2011, 11:38:57 AM3/2/11
to ic...@googlegroups.com, Jason Felice

Anyone who wants to become the maintainer has my blessing, I have no
time for iCuke anymore unfortunately.

Matt Di Pasquale

Mar 6, 2011, 10:18:26 AM3/6/11
to iCuke
So, has a new maintainer stepped up?
Which repository should we go with?

Matt

Jason Felice

Mar 6, 2011, 10:52:42 AM3/6/11
to ic...@googlegroups.com, Matt Di Pasquale
I guess it's going to be me.

g...@github.com:BlueFrogGaming/icuke.git

I just rewrote the history on 'master', so if anyone had grabbed it prior to this e-mail, they'll need to rename master to bf_working_copy.

-Jason

Cory Radcliff

Mar 6, 2011, 10:08:53 PM3/6/11
to ic...@googlegroups.com, Jason Felice, Matt Di Pasquale

so... I have some additions that I think would be useful (they were for my team). I will try to get those added in here.

So this will become the primary development location? I may have some resources to help with this in a couple months.

Also, where are bugs tracked for this?

Jason Felice

Mar 6, 2011, 10:36:27 PM3/6/11
to Cory Radcliff, ic...@googlegroups.com, Matt Di Pasquale
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Cory Radcliff <pengu...@gmail.com> wrote:

so... I have some additions that I think would be useful (they were for my team). I will try to get those added in here.

So this will become the primary development location? I may have some resources to help with this in a couple months.

Also, where are bugs tracked for this?

It looks like we should just start using BlueFrogGaming/icuke for bugs and development (unless there's a better answer, see below).

It looks like there are bugs under unboxed/icuke, and pull requests under robholland/icuke .  I did a bit of Googling for "how to pass off maintainership of a github project", but haven't found a good answer on how to move these to a different owner or somehow broadcast where the "right" repository is.  If I'm missing something obvious, let me know.

There's not a lot to copy, though.  I am manually cherry-picking from the pull requests and should have those merged up soon.

Matt Di Pasquale

Mar 7, 2011, 2:25:41 AM3/7/11
to Jason Felice, Cory Radcliff, ic...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Can you make sure that when you cherry pick another fork's commit to your master branch that that commit disappears from that fork on your network graph so that your network graph starts to look clean? That would be sweet!

Thanks!

Also, why did Rob stop developing it? Is it because UIAutomation came out? I did a Google of UIAutomation vs iCuke and found:

I like the way the Apple library is connected to the running application. It definitely feels "first-class" compared to iCuke's implementation 5. Let's hope that we can bring the two approaches together to have one fantastic automation tool.

http://alexvollmer.com/posts/2010/07/03/working-with-uiautomation/

What is the mission of iCuke now that UIAutomation is out?

I propose that we aim to make iCuke give the Cucumber experience, but use all the great things that UIAutomation offers.

Matt

Matt Di Pasquale

Mar 7, 2011, 2:26:48 AM3/7/11
to Jason Felice, Cory Radcliff, ic...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I agree that for bug tracking, features etc., we can use BlueFrogGaming/icuke issues tab.

Matt

Rob Holland

Mar 7, 2011, 4:08:48 AM3/7/11
to ic...@googlegroups.com, Matt Di Pasquale, Jason Felice, Cory Radcliff
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Matt Di Pasquale
<livelov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, why did Rob stop developing it? Is it because UIAutomation came out? I
> did a Google of UIAutomation vs iCuke and found:

I stopped developing it because the contract for which it was
developed (for Unboxed Consulting) ended. Unfortunately I can't
justify spending unpaid time on it because I don't have a need for it
myself.