Functional testing of web apps via Mobile Safari

Kevin

Jan 6, 2011, 5:09:47 PM1/6/11
to iCuke
Hello, all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to use iCuke to automate functional
testing of a web app via Mobile Safari. That is, is it possible to
launch Safari, load a web site, and then interact with it?

Thanks!
Kevin

Tom Brow

Jan 6, 2011, 5:37:27 PM1/6/11
to ic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

iCuke wouldn't be very helpful there; it depends on a bit of native code that needs to be linked into whichever app it's manipulating.

To approximate Mobile Safari, you could write your own simple app with a full-screen UIWebView. However, you won't be able to locate individual interface elements using labels or XPath selectors, which is most of the benefit of iCuke.

Personally, I'd suggest looking at this: http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/IPhoneDriver

Best,
Tom

Or, if you're set on using iCuke, put together a simple

Kevin Boers

Jan 6, 2011, 6:01:34 PM1/6/11
to ic...@googlegroups.com
Ah, very interesting! I didn't come across this while Googling for
solutions. I'll see if I can get it to work. Right now, I'm using
QWebView via PyQt, which is webkit, but I was hoping to use the iPhone
simulator which will render form elements, etc more like the iPhone
does.

Thanks for the tip!

Kevin