iCuke versus UIAutomation

Jason Felice

Mar 7, 2011, 8:22:23 AM3/7/11
to Matt Di Pasquale, Cory Radcliff, ic...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Matt Di Pasquale <livelov...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also, why did Rob stop developing it? Is it because UIAutomation came out? I did a Google of UIAutomation vs iCuke and found:

I like the way the Apple library is connected to the running application. It definitely feels "first-class" compared to iCuke's implementation 5. Let's hope that we can bring the two approaches together to have one fantastic automation tool.

http://alexvollmer.com/posts/2010/07/03/working-with-uiautomation/

What is the mission of iCuke now that UIAutomation is out?

I propose that we aim to make iCuke give the Cucumber experience, but use all the great things that UIAutomation offers.

A local guru was using UIAutomation but converted to (or is going to convert to) iCuke.  The biggest drawback of UIAutomation is that we can't get it to run from the command-line.  It's possible in theory, but he reports that when he does what he thinks is correct, the automation scripts don't load or run.

That makes it difficult for a CI server.

But I also agree that UIAutomation "is not cucumber".  The script you write for it is not understandable by lay people.

Cory Radcliff

Mar 7, 2011, 9:41:18 PM3/7/11
to Jason Felice, Matt Di Pasquale, ic...@googlegroups.com

I actually introduced ICuke to a very non-technical QA tester who picked up on it very quickly and managed to get a big chuck of our tests automated. Once he understood the language, he was able to be fairly self sufficient in automating tests.

Unfortunately there were some bugs in how it handled some UI widgets that I didn't have time to chase and fix so it fell by the wayside. however, with some support and bug fixes, I'm excited to get it back into production.