South Africa contact tracing app

Bill Tucker

Sep 18, 2020, 7:26:10 AM9/18/20
to ICTDEVers

Wallace Chigona

Sep 18, 2020, 9:20:57 AM9/18/20
to Bill Tucker, ICTDEVers

The attached paper may help us in our thinking about Tracing apps

Sep 18, 2020, 10:02:06 AM9/18/20
to Wallace Chigona, in...@researchforthefuture.com, Bill Tucker, ICTDEVers
Thank you Wallace for this paper.

"Digital solution first” is, as I see it, only part of the problem which is captured / conceptualised in this paper as alienation.

Technocratic governments will inevitably give technology a bad name.

I think it would be pertinent for disciplines such as ICT4D to make a clear distinction between "technology for people first” (which I think ICT4D is or should be about) and a technocratic mindset / governance ideology, which arguably predated the emergence of the “new” information and communication technologies by a couple of decades.

I also think that in the context of rampant government abuse of power through means of technology such as tracking and tracing, it would be very important for ICT4D scholars and practitioners to develop a very clear normative stance. Not only so that their positionally will be clearly recognised but also to keep their data construction, analysis and interpretation clear, focused and objective (in the sense of doing justice to the object of study).

Kind regards

Ineke

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ictdevers/DB3PR0302MB3339739A3D1045F26FD4B81ABB3F0%40DB3PR0302MB3339.eurprd03.prod.outlook.com.
<Contact tracing apps and alienation in the age of COVID 19.pdf>