Fwd: Applied Spectra Pegasus LIBS/LA system

Berna Yüksel

Jun 19, 2012, 6:47:52 AM6/19/12
to icp-an...@googlegroups.com, Nilgÿfffffcn ÿffffd6zvatan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Colucci <mcol...@appliedspectra.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Subject: Applied Spectra Pegasus LIBS/LA system
To: bernay...@gmail.com
Cc: Efe <kese...@appliedspectra.com>, feda....@ankateknik.com.tr, Jong Yoo <jy...@appliedspectra.com>, evren...@ankateknik.com.tr

Dear Berna Yuksel,

I understand that Efe Esseller, a technical representative from our company, visited MTA last week with our distributors from Ankateknik.  I hope that you found that visit to be informative.

Efe mentioned to me that you had a few specific questions that you would like to be answered.  Please allow me to address those issues here:

1) Maintenance.  As Efe may have told you, the only regular maintenance that is required on the LIBS and LA system is to change out the dionized water cartridge and to change the chiller water every month or two.  It is a very easy and inexpensive maintenance procedure.  The laser flash lamp may also need to be replaced, but that would be at a longer time interval of 2-3 years.  A longer term maintenance item will be to refurbish the laser resonator every 3-5 years, depending upon usage.  The resonator deteriorates with time and needs to be either refurbished or replaced.  We can either refurbish your laser or send you a replacement.  A very approximate cost is $7,000 every 3-5 years for this maintenance.  You should also fire up the laser at least a couple times a week if you do not use it for an extended period of time.  The Q-switch could dry out during prolonged periods of non-usage.  Just running the system, even if you are not ablating any material, will prevent that from happening.

2) Research papers.  I have a lot of research papers for laser ablation, and a good bibliography also for LIBS.  I will not send all of them in this message, just a select few.  A very informative paper for LIBS is the one written by our customers at Spansion Malaysia on the determination of Pb concentrations in solder products.  This is a very good publication as it compares LIBS with other techniques such as XRF, LA-ICP-OES and LA-ICP-MS.  It demonstrates that LIBS is the preferred method for ppm level determinations on Pb in solder due to ease of use and cost.  I would recommend giving this paper a read.  I have attached another paper on conflict minerals written by Dr. Russ Harmon, formerly of the US Army research lab but now at a government lab in the UK.  This paper shows the utility of LIBS for trace element determinations in geologic materials.  There are many papers on LA-ICP-MS in geological materials.  Please indicate the exact application that you would like to see covered in a paper and I will send that to you.

3) Price and quotation.  I will prepare a quotation for you.  In the meantime you can use a price of $220,000 US Dollars as a budgetary price for a Pegasus LIBS/LA system with a CCD detector in the LIBS.  This detector give you an approximate limit of detection in the 100's ppm level.  If you need lower detection limits, an ICCD detector will provide single digit ppm levels of detection for many elements but also add $50,000 to the cost of the system. (I am assuming that you will need a 213nm laser in this system.  Prices are based upon that wavelength).

You may also purchase the Pegasus as either a LIBS or stand alone laser ablation system.  The price will be approximately $120,000 for the LA system only and $180,000 for the LIBS system only.  It is much more cost effective to purchase the combined system.  The combined configuration will also provide you with an extremely powerful analytical tool that will allow you to do major and trace elemental screening on the same laser plume that you are doing lower level trace element or isotope ratio work.  This is particularly valuable for geochronology applications where you need high precision U/Pb ratios and trace element data.

I would be happy to address any additional technical questions that you may have.  Feel free to contact me directly.  Anakateknik is also available to answer any local purchasing questions as well as provide local service support when/if you purchase the system.

I look forward to serving MTA as a valued customer should you decide that the Pegasus meets and exceeds your analytical needs.

Regards, Mike

Mike Colucci, Ph.D.
Global Sales Director
Applied Spectra, Inc.
46665 Fremont Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94538

--
Berna Yüksel
Chemical Engineer (M.S.) | MTA Department of Mine Analysis and Technologies | Phone : +90 312 201 22 72 | Fax : +90 312 287 54 09

Determination of Pb concentration level in solder finished products by LIBS.pdf
Conflict Minerals (Harmon et al)-2011.pdf