Why are fonts less sharp than vector graphics? Is it possible to do anything

Martin Knapp

Jan 13, 2016, 7:35:53 AM1/13/16
to IcoMoon
I'm trying to work out whether it is better to use web fonts or vector graphics (SVG) in my web site. I can see all sorts of advantages to web fonts, not the least of which is the ability to use them in web design software like Axure. However, I find that when I generate a font set it is not at all as clear and rescaleable as the vector graphics (which are impeccable). For example, curves are not smooth but have what look rather like pixelisation effects.
I can't work out why this is. I thought web fonts (and TTF) were also vectorial, but maybe I am wrong?

Keyamoon

Jan 13, 2016, 8:15:55 AM1/13/16
to IcoMoon
They are not "less sharp". Both font glyphs and SVGs are different methods of delivering/storing vector graphics. See this pen for a comparison of how they render: https://codepen.io/Keyamoon/pen/yeoMYd