Pixelated font - Firefox for Windows

Andre Raw

Sep 18, 2014, 9:42:17 PM9/18/14
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, I created a custom icon font using the latest app, and got good results in all browsers but Firefox on Windows... Any way of solving that?

Here's the preview - http://codepen.io/anon/pen/hIeal

Thanks!
Andre

Keyamoon

Sep 18, 2014, 11:22:03 PM9/18/14
Hmm, they look fine for me. Are you seeing this issue on a virtual machine? In Firefox, enter "about:support" in the address bar. Under Graphics, check if DirectWrite is enabled.

Andre Raw

Sep 18, 2014, 11:43:25 PM9/18/14
to ico...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks for the response! Indeed, it's a Windows 7 VM.

Enabling it solved the matter. But, is that an issue of a VM only? Or will most FF users have to enable DirectWrite to see smoother web fonts?

Thanks for your time!
Andre

Keyamoon

Sep 18, 2014, 11:53:53 PM9/18/14
to ico...@googlegroups.com
DirectWrite is enabled by default in actual Windows machines. In virtual machines however, the browser may fail to recognize the GPU and it won't be able to use hardware acceleration, which is required for DirectWrite.