[IMPORTANT, NEED FEEDBACK] Icode Ubuntu Rootfs

Two Seven Two Dev

May 26, 2019, 12:07:37 AM5/26/19
to I<code> GO
If you are just reading this, or was directed here by a link, PLEASE take a moment to reply to this topic. In the end, Icode-Go is your coding app. This topic would bring drastic changes... all pros in my opinion, except one, storage space. Since most modern Android devices have large internal storages, this isn't so much a problem as it use to be. But, let's get to get to the topic at hand.

I have spent the last few days learning about how rootfs distros work on Android. If I just lost you, no worries, I'll explain this now. A rootfs distro is a barebones linux distro that runs within the kernal of another linux distribution. Since Android is essentially linux, this works to some extents. So a rootfs is a 'fake' or chrooted filesystem. When inside this chroot, the system will see '/' as the root of the rootfs linux distro and not your Android device. You don't have to worry about messing it up, or it messing with your device, they are isolated from one another. If you mess up a rootfs, you simply reinstall it, and presto, linux on Android.

Now, it's a bit more complicated than that, but, I can confidently say I can bring a rootfs to Icode-Go. This would be the plan, and the drastic changes that would in the end make Icode-Go unbeatable as an android ON DEVICE compiler and IDE.

I'm a Ubuntu guy. I manage 4 of my own bare metal boxes and my real world job is systems administrator for debian and ubuntu boxes. So, as of right this minute, I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running inside Icode-Go (development branch). I was able to easily install Apache, MariaDB, and php versions 5.5 to 7.3 with all included modules... INCLUDING ioncube loader. I would be able to still incorporate the one click server start and stop, as well as manage virtual hosts etc all through Icode-Go. You wouldn't see much difference here in operation, just a greater ability to use more modules and functions.

NodeJs. This would be a drastic improvement to our current node on Android situation. Since all the build tools will be available, I could give an educated guess that almost all of npm modules will work. No more limits, unable to compile native modules... etc... etc...

Python and Ruby, no more SL4A. Would be available on device, all modules, runnable with a click of a button. Any modules needed, as long as they are available through Ubuntu repositories, you could install.

Java, yes.... full java. With javac, right on the device. Compile, run, etc. Would still be limited to console based apps. Apk building, NDK availability ... all of it is possible.

C++, on device compilers.
Go, on device compilers.

Are you getting the picture? With Ubuntu powering our compiles and servers, we will GREATLY expand what we can do... on device, no internet required (after packages are installed).

Now... everything has a price. For us, the trade off is space requirements. The Ubuntu rootfs I currently have on my device is over 500mb. WITHOUT any packages. I have installed apache, mariaDB, php 7.3, g++ build essentials, and nodejs. We are at 850 mb.

For low storage devices, this is a problem. If you are rooted, there are a couple of really good apps that link internal /data folders to external sd cards formatted with ext4 partitions. I use one on my lowend 4.1 device to have 64GB of 'internal' faked storage.

For newer devices, this isn't really a concern. This would bring infinite possibilities to coding on your mobile.

So.... I need feedback, concerns, and pros/cons of all this. If we decide to embark this journey, there isn't a turning back.

Christopher

Jay Carlson

May 29, 2019, 12:30:30 PM5/29/19
to I<code> GO

I like the idea of pulling more Linux into the app. I give you a thumbs up on the idea and will say would love to see it and test it

Roberto Rios

May 29, 2019, 1:45:12 PM5/29/19
to Two Seven Two Dev, I<code> GO

Amazing!

I Will be waiting to test it as soon as it is available.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

Robert Martin

May 31, 2019, 8:22:01 PM5/31/19
to I<code> GO
Hi,

I have played around with Linux from Scratch and Minimal Linux Live, would you consider making an option for user supplied kernels?  My base kernel is 10MB and the only app I load on top of that is Node.js.  I am interested in using older Android tablets as they are very cheap, so the ability to run on earlier versions of android would be a plus.  I would be interested in running on an android/raspberry pi or android/odroid system.

Best regards,
Rob

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 9:30 AM Jay Carlson <carlson...@gmail.com> wrote:

I like the idea of pulling more Linux into the app. I give you a thumbs up on the idea and will say would love to see it and test it

Marta Hintz

Jun 1, 2019, 10:38:00 PM6/1/19
to I<code> GO
I would love it!  do it!

Marta

John LaDuke

Jun 2, 2019, 8:27:40 AM6/2/19
to I<code> GO
Definitely worth it.

Split Infinitive Software

Jul 17, 2019, 11:53:18 PM7/17/19
to I<code> GO
I have a cheapie device with only 16GB internal and only 4 of it available before apps are added so I move every app I can to my external 128GB card. If you went with this changeup could I run it from my card like I do with my current icode? if yes then I say I'm on board for the changeup.

Precious Hills

Apr 23, 2020, 1:22:40 AM4/23/20
to I<code> GO
it sounds like a great ideal.