Virtual Prototype Meetup

Peter Childs

Nov 12, 2012, 2:54:48 PM11/12/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
May I suggest, that anyone who wishes talk Projects and maybe
collaborate on what they are currently working on, can do so on our
IRC channel. freenode.net #icmp

I for one will be around on IRC around 7:30pm tomorrow night since
that's when Ed and Myself have been meeting up in recent weeks.

Its just very quite on IRC when your there by your self :)

Peter.

Rodney Buckland

Nov 13, 2012, 4:07:28 AM11/13/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
I can probably join you at about 8pm. How does this work? I've just followed the link you have provided, but there is no further link to icmp.

Rodney

Steven Gartland

Nov 13, 2012, 5:51:08 AM11/13/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Good idea! I'll join you if I can work out how. Any hints? I checked out the page but have no idea how to find our IRC channel.

Peter Childs

Nov 13, 2012, 6:26:19 AM11/13/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
On 13 November 2012 10:51, Steven Gartland
Right need to give some instructions. for those who have not used IRC before.

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html

You might need to do a search for other instructions. I found those
instructions in a bit of a hurry, Google is your friend.

Truth is IRC is excellent for large scale Group Internet Chat scale up
from say Google Hangout, Facebook, MSN, ICQ etc etc. But its less good
at other media, say Audio, Video etc where your better off with
Google, Skype etc. (which don't work so well with more than a small
group).

From a technicla point of view there are quite a few bigger channels
with loads of Computer (and electronic) minded people spread round the
world, very useful for getting instant help day or night, if you can
find a channel with like like minded people. If you looking for other
local channels KLUG have a channel too on ug.org.uk......#klug but
like our channel its a little quite and to annoy you its on a
different server.

Ed did say he had been using IRC quite a bit a Uni.

Peter.

Ed Lepedus

Nov 13, 2012, 11:13:47 AM11/13/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Rodney,

Since you are on Mac, your best bet is to download Colloquy ( http://colloquy.info ). Once you have Colloquy, go to File>New Connection. Choose a nickname, put "irc.freenode.net" in the "Chat server" box and tick "Remember this connection". Click on the arrow to show details and put "#icmp" in the "Join rooms" box, then click connect and it should do it all nicely :)

(There is also a way to do it all in the terminal, but it's probably easier to get started with Colloquy)

Ed

Ed Lepedus

Nov 13, 2012, 11:18:19 AM11/13/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

I assume you are using windows? If you are, then your best bet is probably to use XChat ( http://xchat.org ). The steps are the same as for Colloquy, but they exact wording of things might be a little different. If you have any problems, let me know and I'll do a more detailed walkthrough :)

Speak soon,
Ed