WebSite / Domain

Peter Childs

Nov 8, 2012, 3:36:19 PM11/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Follow Ed and my meeting with the new Manager today, It looks like we need think about what exactly what we want to do with our Website and where we want to host it and move it ASAP.

I'm not sure who has the Domain Name Registration currently but I'm sure we can sort that out..... (Well actual its registered with ICM and expires in February so I guess we should get on with this)

A Basic website is not that expensive if we want something more expensive we will have to look at what we can afford, We might be able to sort this out for free and just deal with domain name registration via something like lug.org.uk or similar. It really depends what we want/need......

I'm also thinking we ought to look at communicating with other relevant national and international groups like floss uk (was ukuug).

I'll leave it to Ed to fill everyone in regarding room access.

Peter.

Steven Gartland

Nov 8, 2012, 4:14:33 PM11/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Hey,

Thanks for meeting with him on all our behalf. What was decided/discussed?

Speak soon

Steve

Peter Childs

Nov 8, 2012, 4:37:01 PM11/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

To put it simply.

We need to put a contract/license in place with icm over our access to the room and terms of use.  It might continue to be free or for some peppercorn rent but in really ought to be on paper.

They need a list of who has keys which seams to have gone missing. Ed is thinking Simon had the list we are checking. Otherwise we might have to reissue all the keys..... which can t be done before the contact is sorted

We need to move the domain away from icm's servers and probably get the icmp.org.UK domain transferred to ourselves.

Ed is dealing with most of this.....

Peter

Ed Lepedus

Nov 8, 2012, 5:12:10 PM11/8/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Since Peter has already filled you in, I'll just cut straight to the chase.

1. Nobody is to attempt to access the room or any other non-public part of the building until further notice
This is due to some confusion regarding our keyholder records, which ICM cannot locate. I have spoken to Simon, and he has kindly offered to drop our own records into ICM tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get the all-clear soon afterwards.

2. We have been advised to make alternate arrangements for our website hosting, primarily due to security concerns
I would be willing to move the site to my own provider, but we will need redirect the domain name, which I am assuming is currently owned by Matt?

3. We will need to negotiate a licence for our continued use of the space, as there currently appears to be nothing in place
I apologise to you all for the inconvenience, and I hope you will bear with us while we get things back on track. We will keep you informed of any further developments as and when they arise.

-Ed

Peter Childs

Nov 9, 2012, 12:15:17 AM11/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

On 8 Nov 2012 22:36, "Ed Lepedus" <ed.le...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since Peter has already filled you in, I'll just cut straight to the chase.

Sorry ed. I only wanted to get a quick answer out quickly. ...

> 1. Nobody is to attempt to access the room or any other non-public part of the building until further notice
> This is due to some confusion regarding our keyholder records, which ICM cannot locate. I have spoken to Simon, and he has kindly offered to drop our own records into ICM tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get the all-clear soon afterwards.
>
> 2. We have been advised to make alternate arrangements for our website hosting, primarily due to security concerns
> I would be willing to move the site to my own provider, but we will need redirect the domain name, which I am assuming is currently owned by Matt?

The whois record says icm via 123-reg but I doubt icm are going to cause us any trouble with having it.

I think we are going to need to look at transferring it rather than just redirecting it. We ought to update the whois record now we are a constituted group anyway. ....

We might even be able to do more with it.

Spouse we could look at changing it to something else.  Like prototypemedway rather than icmp.org.uk. we've said this before that we need our own identity away from that of icm. Given what has just happens I think this is more important than ever.

What do others think?

What do people think we ought to do with our virtual portfolio. I think this is an area we should look at expanding and improving to help push our aims.

> 3. We will need to negotiate a licence for our continued use of the space, as there currently appears to be nothing in place
> I apologise to you all for the inconvenience, and I hope you will bear with us while we get things back on track. We will keep you informed of any further developments as and when they arise.

Peter

Ed Lepedus

Nov 9, 2012, 3:14:39 AM11/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
On 9 Nov 2012, at 05:15, Peter Childs <petera...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 8 Nov 2012 22:36, "Ed Lepedus" <ed.le...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since Peter has already filled you in, I'll just cut straight to the chase.

Sorry ed. I only wanted to get a quick answer out quickly. ...

Sorry, Peter - that wasn't meant as a criticism. You were right to do it, and it meant that I could skip the context and get down to the decisions/action points etc

> 1. Nobody is to attempt to access the room or any other non-public part of the building until further notice
> This is due to some confusion regarding our keyholder records, which ICM cannot locate. I have spoken to Simon, and he has kindly offered to drop our own records into ICM tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get the all-clear soon afterwards.
>
> 2. We have been advised to make alternate arrangements for our website hosting, primarily due to security concerns
> I would be willing to move the site to my own provider, but we will need redirect the domain name, which I am assuming is currently owned by Matt?

The whois record says icm via 123-reg but I doubt icm are going to cause us any trouble with having it.

I think we are going to need to look at transferring it rather than just redirecting it. We ought to update the whois record now we are a constituted group anyway. ....

We might even be able to do more with it.

Spouse we could look at changing it to something else.  Like prototypemedway rather than icmp.org.uk. we've said this before that we need our own identity away from that of icm. Given what has just happens I think this is more important than ever.

What do others think?

What do people think we ought to do with our virtual portfolio. I think this is an area we should look at expanding and improving to help push our aims.

What you say is very interesting, and something I have considered for a while anyway. It has even crossed my mind that producing web-based resources that  can help other Makerspaces set themselves up might be a way for a small group like our to punch above our weight in terms of impact.

> 3. We will need to negotiate a licence for our continued use of the space, as there currently appears to be nothing in place
> I apologise to you all for the inconvenience, and I hope you will bear with us while we get things back on track. We will keep you informed of any further developments as and when they arise.

Ed

Peter Childs

Nov 9, 2012, 5:10:28 AM11/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
On 9 November 2012 08:14, Ed Lepedus <ed.le...@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 9 Nov 2012, at 05:15, Peter Childs <petera...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 8 Nov 2012 22:36, "Ed Lepedus" <ed.le...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since Peter has already filled you in, I'll just cut straight to the chase.

Sorry ed. I only wanted to get a quick answer out quickly. ...

Sorry, Peter - that wasn't meant as a criticism. You were right to do it, and it meant that I could skip the context and get down to the decisions/action points etc

> 1. Nobody is to attempt to access the room or any other non-public part of the building until further notice
> This is due to some confusion regarding our keyholder records, which ICM cannot locate. I have spoken to Simon, and he has kindly offered to drop our own records into ICM tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get the all-clear soon afterwards.
>
> 2. We have been advised to make alternate arrangements for our website hosting, primarily due to security concerns
> I would be willing to move the site to my own provider, but we will need redirect the domain name, which I am assuming is currently owned by Matt?

The whois record says icm via 123-reg but I doubt icm are going to cause us any trouble with having it.

I think we are going to need to look at transferring it rather than just redirecting it. We ought to update the whois record now we are a constituted group anyway. ....

We might even be able to do more with it.

Spouse we could look at changing it to something else.  Like prototypemedway rather than icmp.org.uk. we've said this before that we need our own identity away from that of icm. Given what has just happens I think this is more important than ever.

What do others think?

What do people think we ought to do with our virtual portfolio. I think this is an area we should look at expanding and improving to help push our aims.

What you say is very interesting, and something I have considered for a while anyway. It has even crossed my mind that producing web-based resources that  can help other Makerspaces set themselves up might be a way for a small group like our to punch above our weight in terms of impact.

I'm thinking if we can push Communication between Innovators as most Innovators do most of there real "work" of Innovating in the sheds/loft/garage/bedroom, which they have set up just the way they want for exactly what they want to innovate, and they can use it in any odd hour, rather than needing to go out. If they do go out they tend to want to meet others and discuss what they are trying to achieve and get ideas/input from others and show it off. This is exactly what we've seen in the room. Its also one of the big issues with shared work spaces and hot desking in general.

My thought is we should not try to replace anything that does not already exist and people should be encouraged to document their work via services such as WordPress, Facebook, U-Tube, Twitter, Linked-In etc. what is needed is communication and to join it all together. so mailing lists, forums, irc, and list of links

Dont get me wrong I'd love the room back, but we need to look at exactly what the room is being used for and ensure its being used correctly and has the facilities we want and is not just a room to gather computer junk in.

Peter.

Edmond Lepedus

Nov 9, 2012, 5:20:11 AM11/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
I agree. I think we definitely need to move away from trying to revive junk in the room and more toward providing facilities that might be difficult for individuals to have in their own homes etc.

I'm also on board as far as integrating with other services is concerned. We need to make collaboration and engagement as frictionless as possible, so people can use their own blogs etc.

Also, "not try to replace anything that doesn't already exist" ?? /head explodes :P

Ed

Sent from my iPhone

Luc Tidy

Nov 9, 2012, 12:32:32 PM11/9/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
HI all,

I'm sorry to see that you are currently having issues with a communcal
space currently, having been in a similar situation in the past with
some of my other ventures you have my sympathies. For those that don't
remember me, I used to pop along to the KLUG meetings, and was there for
the first ICMP meeting but haven't found the time to make the trip over
since; thankfully the mailing list has kept me informed.

In light of a communal area for discussion / general meeting point or
evening I would like to offer an area over the Universities at Medway
under the Medway Engineering Society. This means, at least as a stop
gap, I can provide you a room for an evening for discussions or to have
a meeting until a better solution has arisen. I'm not trying to tread on
toes here, and apologies if it comes across as such - just wanting to
help if I can.

Fell free to drop me an e-mail or I generally sit in the icmp channel on
IRC.

Kind Regards,
~Luc

Ed Lepedus

Nov 10, 2012, 5:07:05 AM11/10/12
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luc,

Thank you so much for your kind offer - we might have to take you up on it before too long! We are currently in talks with ICM to secure our continued use of the space, so hopefully we won't need to - but we will let you know how things pan out. I hope things are going well at MCES.

-Ed