Re: [icmprototype] Abridged summary of icmprototype@googlegroups.com - 5 Messages in 1 Topic

Rodney Buckland

Jan 11, 2013, 11:05:07 AM1/11/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
What on Earth is going on here?

As reported to Oliver in a more secure channel, I went to the ICM Xmas Party in December and had a valuable conversation with Cllr Jane Chitty, Portfolio Holder of Strategic Development and Economic Growth on Medway Council.

I explained to Cllr Chitty what we were set up to achieve and she expressed wholehearted support for our efforts.  Has the Committee really been trying to get continuing support?  It suspect not.

I'm away in Australia until mid February, so can't intervene effectively, but I suggest that the Committee refuses to vacate our facility until some clarity is achieved about any change in the Council's policy since December, and we have had, if necessary, the opportunity to meet with Council senior management.

I'm not leaving until Monday morning, so anyone is welcome to call me at home on 01732 820031 up until 9pm Sunday for further clarification.

Rodney

On 11/01/2013 14:28, icmpro...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/icmprototype/topics

    ed <ed.le...@googlemail.com> Jan 11 03:07AM -0800

    Dear makers,

    It is with great sadness that I write to inform of our failure to secure
    our continued use of the Prototype room at the Innovation Centre. We have
    been asked to vacate the premises ...more
    Peter Childs <pch...@bcs.org> Jan 11 11:30AM

    > Dear makers,

    > It is with great sadness that I write to inform of our failure to secure
    our continued use of the Prototype room at the Innovation Centre. We have
    been asked to vacate the ...more
    Edmond Lepedus <ed.le...@googlemail.com> Jan 11 12:11PM

    I've just been in to have my fob reactivated, so I can provide access as
    needed. I would probably prefer to do it sometime in the morning rather
    than later, but I'm quite flexible.

    -ed
    ...more
    Peter Childs <pch...@bcs.org> Jan 11 12:20PM

    Shall we say 11am I've got to play taxi for my daughters birthday treat at
    1030 but have no wish to watch tinkerbell......

    Might have my son with me. Ill have to check what he's doing.

    Peter
    ...more
    Edmond Lepedus <ed.le...@googlemail.com> Jan 11 12:30PM

    That works for me :)

    Sent from my iPhone

    On 11 Jan 2013, at 12:20, Peter Childs <pch...@bcs.org> wrote:

    Shall we say 11am I've got to play taxi for my daughters birthday treat at ...more

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group icmprototype.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

Edmond Lepedus

Jan 11, 2013, 11:43:53 AM1/11/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, a company offering high-speed wifi to businesses in the Medway area (!) has offered 10k per annum for the prototype room and is waiting to move in ASAP. The facility manager feels that it is his duty to extract the maximum commercial value out of the building, and therefore is unable to refuse that offer.

Inquiries have been made regarding council funding, but given current economic pressures, I'm not holding my breath.

I do not feel we are in a position to refuse to vacate the room, as we have no written agreement allowing us to use it the first place. Moreover, I believe such confrontation would not be conducive to a productive long-term relationship with the centre staff.

If you feel that there are other options open to us, do let us know.

-ed

Sent from my iPhone

Peter Childs

Jan 11, 2013, 12:11:29 PM1/11/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Rodney,

Given the traffic and activity of the group since july I don't really see the point in putting up a fight.

Ed,  you and myself continued over the summer. But the posts here and other traffic prototype related activity since we lost access has been neglegable.

Most of us have started new jobs or other activuties recently which has been a problem.

If there is a support for a maker group in medway we are currently in the possition where we need to start again rather than try and resuscitate prototype.

Peter

Edmond Lepedus

Jan 11, 2013, 12:26:29 PM1/11/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
I think the question of starting a new group vs continuing with prototype is moot. I'm more than happy to keep pushing on, regardless of the group's name, as long as there is something to push for. However, without a physical space, we are little more than an Internet forum, and there are already plenty of excellent ones about.

If we have the interest and the means to maintain/procure another space we should do so - but it can't just be me and Peter.

One avenue that we could investigate is that of a collaboration with the IET and/or BCS.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone

Peter Childs

Jan 11, 2013, 12:51:05 PM1/11/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Agreed.

Peter

Steven Gartland

Jan 11, 2013, 3:56:13 PM1/11/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys.

I don't have much time to reply as I'm working at the moment. I just wanted to suggest contacting Cllr Chitty and asking if she would support us using another room elsewhere in Medway. There may be some unused building or facility that we could use as a base. Maybe somewhere that is not appropriate for businesses to rent. Just a thought.

Steve

Tom Sustins

Jan 13, 2013, 8:43:18 AM1/13/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com, stevega...@googlemail.com
Hi

I have just found this group and it's sad to see your facilities have been taken away.  I'm based in Staplehurst and have a large workshop space here.  Would be very interested in talking to you regarding holding your meetings here.  If it's not too far away of course.

Many thanks

Tom

Agreed.

Peter

    Dear makers,

    It is with great sadness that I write to inform of our failure to secure
    our continued use of the Prototype room at the Innovation Centre. We have
    been asked to vacate the premises ...more
    Peter Childs <pch...@bcs.org> Jan 11 11:30AM

    > Dear makers,

    > It is with great sadness that I write to inform of our failure to secure
    our continued use of the Prototype room at the Innovation Centre. We have
    been asked to vacate the ...more

    I've just been in to have my fob reactivated, so I can provide access as
    needed. I would probably prefer to do it sometime in the morning rather
    than later, but I'm quite flexible.

    -ed
    ...more
    Peter Childs <pch...@bcs.org> Jan 11 12:20PM

    Shall we say 11am I've got to play taxi for my daughters birthday treat at
    1030 but have no wish to watch tinkerbell......

    Might have my son with me. Ill have to check what he's doing.

    Peter
    ...more

    That works for me :)

    Sent from my iPhone

    On 11 Jan 2013, at 12:20, Peter Childs <pch...@bcs.org> wrote:

    Shall we say 11am I've got to play taxi for my daughters birthday treat at ...more

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group icmprototype.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

Ed Lepedus

Jan 13, 2013, 8:58:00 AM1/13/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

That would be AMAZING! I'm sure I speak for all of our members when I say we are interested. I'm back at uni tomorrow, but I could meet you in the evening to get the ball rolling. My number is 07919621868, if you'd prefer to talk that way.

Many thanks,
Ed

Tom Sustins

Jan 13, 2013, 9:26:38 AM1/13/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com, stevega...@googlemail.com
Ok, it might be an idea to keep an open forum on this to gauge people's interest.

I run a business called Intelligent Workshop that is based in Staplehurst.  We are an online power tool retailer.  Our premises is setup as a workshop and I have an area upstairs where we could setup some tables for electronics projects.

I need to research insurance and health and safety implications.  But for now, I would like to know that there is an active community willing to come and use the facilities here.   I don't know how you worked before, but I would not want it to be access all the time.  More pre-arranged meetings in the weekday evenings and perhaps weekends.  I'm not looking for any payment for the use of the facilities initially and you will have access to most of our tooling.

Obviously I don't want to do to the trouble of working out all the details and have no interest, so I think it would be great if you guys could work out between you if it's feasible.  If you end up finding premises in the medway area, then I would be an eager member and you would be welcome to use the facilities here at pre-arranged times.  I'm new to the 'hacker' community, so if there are other places I can post notices to gauge interest, let me know and I'll post.

Best Regards

Tom

Oly

Jan 13, 2013, 4:27:37 PM1/13/13
to icmpro...@googlegroups.com
I would be intrested and would try and attend at least for now not sure where i will be after the summer though, but the prospect of having a space where we can use tools is appealing.