Digrams-based reading of hexagrams in I Ching

Aidyn Shekihan

Apr 23, 2024, 11:15:26 AMApr 23
to I Ching Online Group

There is some growing interest in I Ching communities for Digrams-based reading and interpretation of I Ching hexagrams (all 64 of them). With top and bottom digrams in every hexagram representing Heaven and Earth and middle digram representing Human / Mankind, this digrams-based reading opens  new, interesting dimensions in hexagram interpretations.

Could your share your own personal opinion / experience in that area ?

teo becu

Apr 23, 2024, 6:54:46 PMApr 23
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Not a clue, sorry

TEO

On Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 17:15:27 CEST, Aidyn Shekihan <aidyn.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

There is some growing interest in I Ching communities for Digrams-based reading and interpretation of I Ching hexagrams (all 64 of them). With top and bottom digrams in every hexagram representing Heaven and Earth and middle digram representing Human / Mankind, this digrams-based reading opens  new, interesting dimensions in hexagram interpretations.

Could your share your own personal opinion / experience in that area ?

Aidyn She

Apr 29, 2024, 12:35:25 AMApr 29
to I Ching Online Group
I have started some work in this direction, but it is just a beginning.
One example to show my approach - Hexagram #50  - The Great Bowl.
World of Digram Symbols: Old Yang in the middle (father) is surrounded by Young Yins (daughters) in the bottom and in the top. Image of Nourishment.
There are some more examples like this, but I feel that the main heavy lifting is still to be done.

Also, with digram focus in mind, we naturally come to digram-based casting techniques, where each iteration (round) in casting procedure produces one digram as a whole. So, 3 castings needed to get a whole hexagram.
Some of these new techniques - including a digram version of classic yarrow stalks technique - are listed below:

▣ Digrams-based Yarrow Stalks
▣ 2-Coin Digrams Technique
▣ 2-Coin & Dice Technique
▣ 4-Cards Digrams Technique
▣ 4-Cards & Dice Technique

I am hoping that this innovative approach in inquiring I Ching can add more dimensions to traditional hexagram casting and interpretations and will help us to explore more in I Ching Universe. And I feel that our group can provide many innovative insights in that direction.

Taopage

Apr 29, 2024, 12:42:00 AMApr 29
to iching...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure what is the benefit of this diagram method. Can you give us an example of using this method related to a specific question and the corresponding response of the oracle?
Also we need a confirmation of the accuracy of the answer.

teo becu

Apr 29, 2024, 2:39:06 AMApr 29
to iching...@googlegroups.com
It may be interesting,

though I can´t understand what you´re on about and/or what digram means? Is it diagram?

Thanks

Teo

Aidyn She

May 2, 2024, 10:54:21 AMMay 2
to I Ching Online Group

Each hexagram can be structurally presented in one of 3 complementary forms:

1.       Six monograms (six lines)

2.       Three digrams (also called bigrams)

3.       Two trigrams

According to I Ching tradition, when the upper and bottom digrams in hexagram represent Heaven and Earth respectively, the middle digram represents a Humanity / Mankind which serves as a bridge/mediator between Heaven and Earth.

Also, every hexagram depicts the unfolding process going in time from the bottom to the top. In the case of 6-monograms approach it is a 6-step process. In the case of digrams it maps to a 3-step process of beginning-development-end. Below picture gives a basic mapping of digrams to the four-phase transformation process